Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do Some Good Today

Mistress of Shadows High House Moon night faerie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Re: Do Some Good Today

LOL! :-p Have to be controvertial, dontcha?

Well actually I think most people feel this way, which was why I thought to mention it. I think sometimes we have more influence than we know. If people (and I know MANY do) refrain from voting because of grossly inaccurate polls, dont you think thats so wrong? I know, its easy to say well go vote then, but I'm saying let your voice be heard even BEFORE the votes are cast Have an influence on which votes are cast. I dunno, just a thought, from someone who occasionally thinks too much. ~shrugs~

"...just an idle doodle in the margins of our minds ..."
    ...nf

Default Re: Re: Re: Do Some Good Today

it's true that they do influence, but if we didn't have polls in the first place then people would be more likely, to use your example of voting, to vote for whom they choose without being swayed by popular opinion, no? though their mothers could still tell them what to do

as for tv, i feel the best tv doesn't cater, it is expressant and intelligent, just as the best film is. it will be poular regardless because we relate to it and understand it on so many levels

Mistress of Shadows High House Moon night faerie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Do Some Good Today

Quote Originally Posted by James
    it's true that they do influence, but if we didn't have polls in the first place then people would be more likely, to use your example of voting, to vote for whom they choose without being swayed by popular opinion, no? though their mothers could still tell them what to do
    Agreed, but without the ability to eradicate the system, is it not best to make the system work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by James
    as for tv, i feel the best tv doesn't cater, it is expressant and intelligent, just as the best film is. it will be poular regardless because we relate to it and understand it on so many levels
    Theoretically, yes. Maybe it is in Oz, I wouldnt know, but out here, the shows with the best marketing often do best. Its ridiculously apparent that the media & advertising execs actually tell us what will be popular even before we've seen it. Sad but true.
    Again, without the power to get rid of the system, I still prefer to use it to my advantage if possible. Even if it didnt save My So-Called Life and Freaks & Geeks ~sigh~ I still have them on tape.... ~sniff~...

"...just an idle doodle in the margins of our minds ..."
    ...nf

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do Some Good Today

..i'm still a little conflicted within on the system to be honest. i don't know whether to work with it, which would be the wiser thing to do, or to fight it utterly, which i think would be the stronger thing to do..

and no, it's not like that in oz at all, sadly. advertising and media reign supreme.

you're right on many levels, but i still refuse to do surveys. they're just not my thing

Bloody brilliant thread. *flowers4nf*
    Mistress of The Order of Whatever

The limits of my language are the limits of my world - Wittgenstein

Default Wolves Under the Gun in Alaska

I found this in a magazine at work today. Made me so mad to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenders Magazine
    Alaskan wolves will soon be in the crosshairs of aerial gunners under a bill signed by Governor Frank Murkowski. Bowing to the commercial hunting lobby and ignoring both public sentiment and scientific facts, Murkowski in June approved legislation that allows wolves to be killed under the guise of "predator control."

Under the new law, private hunters with special permits will be allowed to use airplanes to track wolves in large areas approved for predator control by the Alaska Board of Game. The wolves can be shot either directly from the aircraft or immediately upon landing. Although Murkowski's law is designed to boost the numbers of moose and caribou, upon which wolves prey, it does not require proof that moose and caribou populations are low. The game board can act regardless of population data and without input from the state department of fish and game.

"Past application of airborne wolf control and hunting as game-management tools have not been cost-effective, scientifically justified or supported by the general public," notes Karen Deatherage of Defenders Alaska office. Alaskans voted in 1996 to ban land-and-shoot hunting and in 2000 to stop private citizens from using aircraft to track and kill wolves for state predator-control programs. Defenders led the charge on both ballot initiatives and has consistently opposed predator-control programs based on unsound science and the participation of untrained private citizens, which increases the likelihood of animal abuses.

With snow season on its way, making it possible to track wolves from the air, Defenders and its allies are expeditiously analyzing options for halting this assault on Alaska's wolves.

For more information on how you can help protect wolves, please go to www.savewolves.org.
    There are so many reasons why this is wrong, both scientific and moral. Scientifically, natural predators such as wolves keep prey populations in check, and keep the existing population healthy by weeding out old and sick individuals, thus keeping the gene pool healthier and preventing the spread of disease. In certain parts of the continental U.S., killing off the predator population has caused population explosions of pest animals like deer and rabbits, just to name a couple.

Morally...well, I won't get into why I think this is morally wrong, but I just though I'd post the article and link for anyone interested.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams

Pictures!
    Blog!

High Roller High House Moon Dregs's Avatar

Default Re: Wolves Under the Gun in Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Amaia
    I found this in a magazine at work today. Made me so mad to read it.

In certain parts of the continental U.S., killing off the predator population has caused population explosions of pest animals like deer and rabbits, just to name a couple.

Morally...well, I won't get into why I think this is morally wrong, but I just though I'd post the article and link for anyone interested.
    This is truly retarded. How can you manage a "pest" if you don't understand the impacts of the pest? How can you understand the impacts of removing a predator if you don't census the prey population? This is just fucked. Fucked in the stupidest possible way, because its some fuckwit american governor pandering to lobby groups for votes, disguised as "pest animal control". Fuck. I thought we had moved on from blindly shooting animals as a "management" tool. There is more to wildlife management than fucking shooting them.

And I apologise for the overuse of swear words, but I can't convey how disgusted I am at this policy.

Default Re: Re: Wolves Under the Gun in Alaska

Now that I've calmed down and had some time to research this, its not as bad as I first thought. I apologise for the OTT response, but that sort of thing really pissess me off.

From what I've gathered from the ADF&G press release, an experimental area has shown that predators are taking a significant proportion of moose or caribou or whatever large ungulate it is. Private shooters are not going to be aerial shooting, just land-and-shoot:-aerial shooting is to be conducted by dept. staff.

Research and into and monitoring of wolf, bear and moose populations and interactions are also an important part of the plan. The only real problem I have is that the dept. hasn't appeared to set a limit for wolf numbers or moose numbers as a recovery target, and it does appear to be politically motivated, although there is provision for the regulation and limitation of commercial harvest of moose.

I should have looked at the defenders website first. I would have realised their political motivation played a factor in the spin.

As for delisting the grey wolf, I'm not sure thats a particularly good idea. Wolves and large predators require careful management, especially in a gun happy human environment. It would be a monumental waste of the last 7 years.
    Dregsy
    Last edited by Dregs; November 13th, 2003 at 21:32.

Default Re: Re: Re: Wolves Under the Gun in Alaska

Yes, that magazine is definitely one-sided in their views. But I don't think private shooters should be allowed to do this. It should be state department staff only, IMO, with strict guidelines on the number of wolves they kill, which, as you said Dregsy, haven't been set yet.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams

Pictures!
    Blog!

I'm trying to get Steve Irwin to buy an island of Tasmania for 1.7 million AUD. Hopefully he can dispel my fears about his conservation ethic, as it wouldn't be particularly commercial. Loads of snakes, though, which could be attractive. It'd be a perfect refuge for Tasmanian CWR species, until they can kill the foxes off. And the dickhead who released them.

Yeah so Steve doesn't want to buy me an island. Probably couldn't make any money off it. Wanker.

So does that mean I don't have a job?

Pictures!
    Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Amaia
    So does that mean I don't have a job?
    'Fraid so. :sad:

King Sloth High House Chaos sir archely's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do Some Good Today

the NFL and Campbell's Soup will donate up to 5 million cans of soup. It doesn't really matter which team helmet you click, just click one. ~shrug~

http://www.chunky.com/click_for_cans.asp

You can click once every 24 hours.
    I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Default Re: Do Some Good Today

http://www.afa.net/petitions/marriagepoll.asp

Gay marriage poll. The American Family Association is doing a poll to see who would or wouldn't favor gay marriage. They plan on submitting the results to congress to support a constitutional amendment or national law banning the rights of gay and lesbian couples to marry or even form a legal civil union. Currently, the votes are very much against them, and I'd appreciate it if we could keep it that way.

Thanks all.

CTC
    Victory is mine!! [/Stewie]

Someday...*sigh* someday I'll live in a world that appreciates me. But not today, I sense.

Faith without works is dead.