Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do Some Good Today

Quick! To the Volcano! High House Moon Eyreplenh's Avatar
    Here, there, there's pieces of me everywhere
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do Some Good Today

I didn't really know it was that high either, but it makes sense, in a twisted way. Keep on working your magic, gelflingjen, because each day you're seen doing this the chance increases some of us sitting around going "hmm, yeah, that's really bad" actually get up and help. It might happen, anyway. Lets hope
    High Marshal of Decadence

And all I loved, I loved alone

Thanks guys. And once we take care of slavery, we can get on that 'transport and sale of necks and/or necks with arms' issue. (Laughed my ass off at this, by the way) Right up there with Rabbi's selling human kidney's in Hoboken, JN.
    Happiness is the consequence of personal effort.
    You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings.

Life is beautiful. And so It is.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    I totally read that wrong and thought the 2nd illegal import was necks and or necks with arms AND i read that aloud to my co-workers.

yep, Im that stupid.
    OK so maybe NOT so stupid. I had to read it twice myself.
    Jen - you sound like you are doing an admirable thing. My wish for you is to never become jaded by the enormity of it all and have three lifetimes of energy to continue. Thank you for this good thing you do.

Mistress of Shadows High House Moon night faerie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is it sad that just now I went to unsticky this post because I now think it's a whole bunch of hullaballoo and clicking on links doesn't do anything for anyone... and if it does, it just means some idiot (or idiot company) HAS money that could be going to help people/animals/earth but isn't going to actually help unless it can get you to click a link (I have the same issues with cereal and yogurt companies that will donate to breast cancer (or whatever) if you just enter this code on your package into this website - It's like donate your money or don't but don't make the public jump through hoops for you just so you can glean some marketing info from them!).

Whew! Bit of a run-on sentence issue there, heh? Anyway I decided to leave it stuck because even if I don't enter the thread, it's still maybe a good sign to see at the top of the forum... Do some good today. Right?

"...just an idle doodle in the margins of our minds ..."
    ...nf

Quick! To the Volcano! High House Moon Eyreplenh's Avatar
    Here, there, there's pieces of me everywhere
    Blog Entries

So, are we doing any good these days?

I'm not doing anything too fantastic, but I have started donating money fairly regularly, and I thought I'd share who I've chosen to support.

I have been a supporter of the world land trust for a few years, but have upped my frequency of giving recently. It's an organization devoted to secure threatened areas and species through conservation. The money you donate is used to buy acres of land, typically rain forests and other vulnerable areas, and the work with local organizations to make sure the bought areas are also looked after and respected. I really like their idea, and also like their open audits and other easily available information. The last years their administration costs have been around 9-10 %, which I find acceptable.

The other thing I'm doing (and I'm loving it!) is kiva. It'a a site that connects you to a lot of smaller microfinance organizations, and lets you lend out a minimum of 25 dollars to a cause you feel deserve it. I like it because I like the idea of the whole teaching people to fish rather than giving them a fish idea. Also, the site is pretty neat and lets you search and look at tons of people who are looking for small loans, to do things that vary from restocking their shop, home improvement or putting their kids through school. Also, you are loaning the money out, so you're also getting them back! Think of it as letting some of your money doing funkier stuff than weighing down your savings account. For the risk-aversive, there is also the option of browsing only loans that has a bigger organization that is guaranteeing for any delinquencies. Also, it's kind of cool to follow the loans, keeping track of the paybacks and so on.

So, let me know if any of you like it, we could make a Quill team on kiva
    High Marshal of Decadence

And all I loved, I loved alone