View Poll Results: Which option do you like the most on polls?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer selecting the second option.

1 11.11%
  • I always opt for the first selection.

2 22.22%
  • I don't participate in polls.

6 66.67%
Page 558 of 612 FirstFirst ... 58458508548556557558559560568608 ... LastLast
Results 8,356 to 8,370 of 9166

Thread: Random Stuff & Nonsense

major major major major dark fuschia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Random Stuff & Nonsense

I always seem to lose my headphones But I have some new ones recently I haven't lost yet and I have been listening to a podcast called serial, anyone else listen to it?

King Sloth High House Chaos sir archely's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have listened to all of the first season of serial (I think that's all that's out, right?) except for the final episode.

I listen to podcasts on my commute, so it made the cut to be in that rotation partially because I had time for it in a week of commuting.

However, I don't think I'll listen to the next season they do, and I'm not sure I'll even listen to the final episode. I got in to it because I already listened to This American Life, but when I started listening I didn't realize that she, Sarah Koenig, was still actively making them as she went along. That seems like a horribly unprofessional thing to do from multiple angles. First off, it seems like you'd want to reach the end of the story before starting to broadcast it without knowing where it's going. I have heard that the final podcast is a bit of a let-down, and I don't know how it could be otherwise. A project such as this should be completely followed to the end before deciding if it's actually worthy of being aired. Secondly, and more importantly, Koenig is actively influencing the entire story by airing it before it's finished. Some of the later episodes have stuff in them because she got calls following the airing of the story. Any possible objectivity of the evidence is completely blown out of the window by her own reporting.

I think the only way Serial really works is if you listen to it almost as if it were fiction. And I think many people are doing that, judging by the online culture that has sprung up around the show. If you read the comments people make, the culture is almost identical to that of the fandom surrounding a gripping television show or series. It reads like WoT theory threads. But I think treating like that, a way that Koenig et al seem to be encouraging by the way they are presenting it, is pretty disrespectful to the actual people involved in the real-life story.

So yeah, I'm not opinionated at all.
    I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries

oooh, some juicy opinions. I just finished episode 9. I think you make some interesting points, but it doesn't lose any appeal for me, I find it a really interesting story, I don't think I follow it like fiction though, because I know it won't have closure like fiction. For me I think what is interesting is that someone is lying, and attempting to unravel that is an interesting process. I think I knew it goes nowhere though before I started listening because BP listened to it first and told me he think he did it anyway (Adnan), so maybe I don't feel let down. But I certainly have no ethical problems with it.

Life in Technicolor High House Chaos Jonboy's Avatar

i listen to public radio. kpcc for all you with the iheartradio app. itss terrible, but better than pop. this is how i know im old. ~goes off to cry in the pook~

Life in Technicolor High House Chaos Jonboy's Avatar

im actually sad that our kind of board is a thing of the past, but kinda hompe the nsa hasnt sucked it up yet....lool

Blog Entries

lol yeah!! Who knew this sort of thing would have such a brief moment in history! We were pioneers...

Mistress of Shadows High House Moon night faerie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it's gonna snow it's gonna snow it's gonna snooooowwww!

"...just an idle doodle in the margins of our minds ..."
    ...nf

Rebellious Witch Whore!! High House Dawn Amelia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am drinking 7-Up and Vodka. That is all.
    Bonded to Sweet Bucky, Hyper SotSy, and Dashing Mike
    Smartmouth Goddess!
    I want to be Wonder Woman

Blog Entries

I just went to my first every TV show Premiere party. I never go to these things because I am anti-social, and also, they usually tend to be far away and I can't be bothered. But tonight, they had it within a 15 minute walk of my home, so there was no excuse for me not to go, plus I don't have to work tomorrow for once, so it was fine to go, take my free wine, watch my show, and talk to people from work. The show looks awesome, it's one of the first times I watched a show I worked on and didn't feel anxiety about how it looked (my job is making it look good, after all.)

Anyway, I'm not sure when or where it will air in the USA or other countries, but here's the trailer!

Now I just have to wait until tomorrow when we find out how many people watched, and hope that it's a big number, and that we all can continue to work on this show for another year!
    Your sense of self is defined by what you think other people think of you.

I'm a militant Agnostic: I don't know and neither do you!

Mistress of Shadows High House Moon night faerie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Anita, that's so cool but I can't imagine you being antisocial. Hmmm.

In Other News... we endured the storm! Actually it wasn't bad at all, we just got about a foot, give or take, lots of drifts. Had a lovely Feast of the Nightfairy dinner last night and plan today to assemble a gingerbread house left over from Xmas.

"...just an idle doodle in the margins of our minds ..."
    ...nf

Rebellious Witch Whore!! High House Dawn Amelia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Note to self: try to get snowed in at Mecca, they will feed me.....oh and NF and Chrono are there with Peanut and Bean!
    Bonded to Sweet Bucky, Hyper SotSy, and Dashing Mike
    Smartmouth Goddess!
    I want to be Wonder Woman

Blog Entries

Err.... ~blinks~ what happened?! All the pages have changed. People, lots of people, added stuff to them, like text and messages and written speakings

sidenote: anyone using outlook.com / hotmail / yahoo mail, whatever, you might not receive mail from the Quill as we're banned again there for whatever reason this time. I've given up on trying to fix.
    I'm only flesh and blood
    But I can be anything that you demand

Blog Entries

Hooray for Mike!

Also, Anita, I've shared that clip with a pilot friend of mine whose entire family is pilots. So, they'll probably watch. You just gave the show some free ad time.

...and... that's my quill time for the night. Now I'm off to enter comments on report cards. {insert evil laugh here.} That said, it's not any more fun from this side.
    Last edited by sir archely; January 27th, 2015 at 19:09.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries

errgg sick and staying home And Harriet is home sick too so not getting much rest at all... Plus I am giving a talk at a conference next week, and I thought I would get a whole day to work on it, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. plus my boss keeps sending me text messages reminding me how much work I have to do (THANKS FOR THAT!!)

I really really really want to change careers, I started an online communications diploma a while back, and I am one quarter of the way through... The next time I get a chance to do a unit, our next baby is due mid session, should I really go there??? But when else will I get a chance to finish off this study? When I think times back to Harriet, there is no way I could have been studying when she was born, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I really need to get out of academia, it soooooo doesn't suit me. And no one will hire me, even for simple office work, because I appear to be some sort of uselss boffin, which is probably true.

I almost started a teaching diploma, so I could become a high school science teacher, but every time I thought of actually teaching I felt sick. In the end I decided it doesn't matter if it's a good family friendly and noble profession where I would be assured of finding a job, I would be a TERRIBLE teacher and I would hate it.

And hey, there's Mike, doing written speakings~!

Anita, I watched the trailer without sound, cos in the moments I get a chance to watch something, I find sound difficult to manage (It will wake Harriet!), but it looks good! Is it possible the free wine helped you feel less anxious about it as you watched?
    Last edited by dark fuschia; January 27th, 2015 at 23:02.

Blog Entries

I am lucky in that being a librarian with a side of teaching is something I really really enjoy.

It is interesting to me that you write you would be "assured of finding a job," because I think that in this country teachers are constantly threatened with cuts and loss of job. Getting a decent one is a highly prized thing. I got a great one, but even I was subjected to the possibility of having my job cut last year. That last single sentence encapsulates months of headache and worry. I know teachers who have been on the cusp of losing their position every year they have been employed, even though they have been a teacher longer than a decade. Forty percent of my yearly evaluation consists of the test results from subjects which I do not teach and over which I have no control whatsoever. The system under which I am evaluated fails when evaluated with its own metric. My profession is consistently overseen by those who have no experience nor any expertise in the field; the professionalism of teachers is denigrated and called into question regularly.

Yet for all this I would wish to do nothing else. There is very little which can compare to the experience of putting the right book into a child's hands and seeing their eyes light up as they fall into a world they never knew existed, or getting to facilitate and participate in those moments in a classroom when the air is electric with the sound of minds being blown open.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~