View Poll Results: Which option do you like the most on polls?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer selecting the second option.

1 11.11%
  • I always opt for the first selection.

2 22.22%
  • I don't participate in polls.

6 66.67%
Page 561 of 611 FirstFirst ... 61461511551559560561562563571 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,415 of 9151

Thread: Random Stuff & Nonsense

Default Re: Random Stuff & Nonsense

What NF said
    rise

major major major major dark fuschia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's todat? NF, how do you have this mystical knowledge? Hasn't the Quill always existed?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY QUILL!!

Rebellious Witch Whore!! High House Dawn Amelia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Happy Bithday (yep, I said birthday, that used to be a thing here!) Quill! I will always love and cherish you!
    Bonded to Sweet Bucky, Hyper SotSy, and Dashing Mike
    Smartmouth Goddess!
    I want to be Wonder Woman

King Sloth High House Chaos sir archely's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The mystical knowledge!

I did have to look then to see what the year was... and holy crap it was 2003.

There is actually still a Quill holiday for every month.
    I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mistress of Shadows High House Moon night faerie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

HO-ly crap, I am so freaked out I forgot my password for a second. So apparently there's THIS:
    http://tv.twcc.com/tv/wheel-of-time-...dragon/9031790

and you can check here to see when it's on and if you have the channel:

http://www.fxnetworks.com/schedule/2015-02-08/Pacific

"...just an idle doodle in the margins of our minds ..."
    ...nf

Blog Entries

The following is a statement from Harriet McDougal Rigney, Robert Jordan's wife and editor, regarding the FXX show "The Wheel of Time: Winter Dragon" that aired last night:
    "This morning brought startling news. A “pilot” for a Wheel of Time series, the "pilot" being called Winter Dragon, had appeared at 1:30 in the morning, East Coast time, on FXX TV, a channel somewhere in the 700s (founded to concentrate on comedy, according to the Washington Post).
    It was made without my knowledge or cooperation. I never saw the script. No one associated with Bandersnatch Group, the successor-in-interest to James O. Rigney, was aware of this.
    Bandersnatch has an existing contract with Universal Pictures that grants television rights to them until this Wednesday, February 11 – at which point these rights revert to Bandersnatch.
    I see no mention of Universal in the “pilot”. Nor, I repeat, was Bandersnatch, or Robert Jordan’s estate, informed of this in any way.
    I am dumbfounded by this occurrence, and am taking steps to prevent its reoccurrence."

...nf

Blog Entries

Ugh. So they go after people who download some songs, but this, which is REAL copyright violation -somehow makes it to air on a network? Jesus. I know a little bit (but only a little) about this kind of thing, and there are usually layers of people this stuff has to go through, including lawyers. Contracts have to be signed, etc. If it's true that no copyright holders had anything to do with this, the network itself could possibly be held liable, but for sure the production company.

Christ, I get in shit if a license plate is legible on my shows. (it's frequently my job to blur things out like logos, license plates, faces of people who didn't sign releases, etc)
    Your sense of self is defined by what you think other people think of you.

I'm a militant Agnostic: I don't know and neither do you!

King Sloth High House Chaos sir archely's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm not sure if this is actual copyright violation. It seems to be shenanigans regarding a company trying desperately to retain the rights. Still bull-shit, but skirting the law. I don't know what the relationship between Universal and Red Eagle Entertainment is.

http://www.dragonmount.com/index.php...how-pilot-r849

All the comments I've seen say that it was terrible. Looks like it was done in a day, shot by third-graders, etc. Dick move of a company just sitting on the rights.

I think the rights situation is convoluted. That dragonmount post mentions Red Eagle Entertainment, but I thought that was the company just associated with creating a video game, not a TV show/series. Although, Red Eagle has failed at pretty much everything they said they were going to do with WoT. Check out this failed kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-time-games-la

$3K out of $450K, probably because they offered basically no indication of what the hell the game would actually be in the kickstarter. As far as I can tell they are just a shell company who own rights to stuff and try to get other people to do the actual work of making something.

Edit: And more: http://io9.com/the-real-story-about-...ire-1684773094

If you go down to the comments, there's a link to a youtube video containing the entire "pilot." Don't watch unless you want to weep for the terrible greedy pillage of a beloved series. It's bad. Really, really bad. Unless you are Anita. Then I want you to watch it and give me a professional review.

PS - Putting it on youtube IS a copyright violation, so I won't link it here. It's not hard to find.
    Last edited by sir archely; February 9th, 2015 at 19:45.
    I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries

I did briefly scan though a version that was uploaded that included commercials. Wee! Looks super low budget. Took half an hour to get through the prologue. I really only skimmed it, but it seems pretty weak, though not as bad as it could be. Then again, it's only doing the prologue, which probably should hve been covered in 5 minutes, but I guess you can stretch that out to 20 (30 including commercials) if you just make it an extended series of monologues. Billy Zane as Ishmael? Well, I've seen him do worse things. Still, it doesn't look that promising, and honestly, a fantasy story of this scope and scale, I wouldn't trust without the backing of a major studio, and even then, I'd be scared of people like Michael Bay getting involved. Or the dude who did Seventh Son, because jesus, was that ever awful.

Blog Entries

Bah. OK. After reading a couple of links and thinking about it for a few minutes:

This is not a sincere attempt to make a "pilot" for a "high budget TV series". That would require more than a 4 day shoot. Secondly, the pilot tends to reflect the format of the series, and if they are talking about competing with GoT, you're really talking about a 1-hour (or 44 minute in the US) drama. I think even Xena was a 1 hour format - I can't remember a 30 minute dramatic show. I mean, I honestly can't think of a serious drama that is presented in a half-hour format. It's not a good format for long-form drama.

Given that, and reading abot the dodge dealings of the production company, this is an attempt for them to drum up interest in the title and then sell the rights to the highest bidder. They want this controversy, some good internet comments (which too many fanboys and fangirls are too willing to provide), and then they can point to it to potential buyers as a selling point. These people do not have the ability to competently work on a high-budget production, and I think the realize that - it's more than jsut the lighting, and the actors and the editing, there's entire infrastructure pipelines to consider, and based on looking at the pilot, these guys are at best working out of a shitty rented office, if not someone's basement.

That said, all things aside, being a fan of WoT, I don't actually think it's a good candidate for a TV show. Of course, my reasoning isn't sound, sociologically, but whatever. The reason I don't think it should be a TV show is that it's time has come and gone. It's time was BEFORE GoT aired. Game of Thrones was a game-changer, in terms of epic fantasy. While Wheel Of Time carries on the tradition of epic battles of Good Vs. Evil, GoT abandons that in favour of complexity of character and the idea that there is no such thing as good or evil, only the actions of people towards a goal. I think the good vs. evil thing is fun, but ultimately, it can't draw people in the way something with a greater moral complexity can. If you look at the biggest TV series of the last decade, you see a huge turn away from the "good guys vs. bad guys" mentality of the 80s and 90s, and more shows like Sopranos and Breaking Bad, where the good guys are bad people, but when you understand why they do what they do, it's hard to fault them. So for that reason primarily, I wouldn't really be interested in watching a WoT series. I'm perfectly content to keep that in my head, in my heart, I don't need it to be butchered and poorly delivered by some hacks looking for a better return on their investment.

last post..... just saying.... / hijack!!!
    woot!!!!!!!!11

Quick! To the Volcano! High House Moon Eyreplenh's Avatar
    Here, there, there's pieces of me everywhere
    Blog Entries

Yep, Anitas post pretty much sums up my thoughts on this. Also, I really dread seeing some CGI hack-job trying to portray balefire or something like that. Ugh.

In other news, we've had three different weather systems up here the last month that all have been categorized as extreme. So, you know, cold. And wind. Powershortages. And now this last one, snow. Don't really mind snow
    High Marshal of Decadence

And all I loved, I loved alone

Blog Entries

It's been snowing here, too. Like every two to three days it snows. But I don't know what everyone's bitching about, it's not accumulating. I mean we have still about six inches or so that's just become glaciers on lawns & stuff but the sidewalks and streets are clear. It's mostly flurrying or else it's an inch and gone in a day. We're supposed to get another inch tomorrow and then there's another front headed Tues/Wed, maybe we'll get something fun then. I think what I like most about snow is WHILE it's snowing. I could watch it for ages and it makes everything kind of go HUSH! So cool.

...nf

major major major major dark fuschia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

oooh that sounds so nice NF. It's hot and humid here. They say Sydney is going to turn into Brisbane because of global warming. Brisbane is HOT and steamy. Like comatose hot and steamy. I reckon it's impossible to function most of the year.

I have developed my own delicious recipe for iced coffee! I heaped tea spoon of instant.... bit of boiling water, six ice cubes, a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and top glass up with cold milk. Oh man soooo good

Blog Entries

omg I don't think I've ever had a bigger Geek Pride moment than now ~giggle~
    a bit ago I joined another WoT based Facebook page (I think I'm only in two, I tend to avoid those things, esp because of spoilers right now) but anyway....
    I'm having a conversation with Robert Jordan's nephew. ~freaks out~

...nf