View Poll Results: Which option do you like the most on polls?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer selecting the second option.

1 11.11%
  • I always opt for the first selection.

2 22.22%
  • I don't participate in polls.

6 66.67%
Page 560 of 611 FirstFirst ... 60460510550558559560561562570610 ... LastLast
Results 8,386 to 8,400 of 9156

Thread: Random Stuff & Nonsense

Mistress of Shadows High House Moon night faerie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Random Stuff & Nonsense

jUstIn, is Zephyr TWO already? Damn. When Gwen was two she watched me running around the house trying to get ready to go somewhere and finally said, "Mama, what the fucking hell are you doing?" I was so stunned I made her repeat it like four times. "What did you say? Tell Daddy what you said. " At least it was in context, though.

Well, our event went off tonight. I won't say it went without a hitch, and truthfully I have no idea how it happened at all but it went and now it's over and that's all that matters. Gwen got to speak a welcoming line and sing a song with her class and after it all there were 173 cupcakes made. Never again. For future reference, 100 is my max. Tomorrow my biceps and fingers will be aching from squeezing that piping bag full of frosting all day. :grumble:

"...just an idle doodle in the margins of our minds ..."
    ...nf

King Sloth High House Chaos sir archely's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh, you're one of those PTO moms.
    I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries

omg, arch! Don't make me feel judged HERE! Whaddya MEAN one of THOSE? Some people are really antagonistic towards PTA moms. This is my 3rd year in the PTA and there is so much room for improvement. There's a real difficulty for example in reaching people. Some people depend totally on tech for their info (I started a tiny internet site for meeting minutes but getting the word out that it exists has been all but impossible) some people won't look at anything other than hardcopy paper and some people don't have time to sift through all the paper that comes home from school. Everyone works, lots of people can't get sitters and don't want to bring their kids to meetings. No one volunteers to lead anything, which means those who are willing to volunteer to help have no one to lead them and tell them what's expected of them, so they stop volunteering after one or two attempts.

At last nights event, they were touting all the good the PTA has done over the years (child labor laws, push for universal kindergarten, etc) But when I look at what we're doing now, I'm not sure we're helping the kids. I find myself wondering why I'm a member and what I could be doing to make it matter. We sponsor some fun assemblies and book fairs and school photos and an awesome Halloween party for the kids. But in this age when HALF of the kids in public school are living in poverty, and so many kids are suffering through forced "rigorous" academics and age-inappropriate testing practices... surely there's something more substantial we should be doing...

...nf

Blog Entries

omg, arch! Whaddya MEAN one of THOSE? Some people are really antagonistic towards PTA moms. This is my 3rd year in the PTA and there is so much room for improvement. There's a real difficulty for example in reaching people. Some people depend totally on tech for their info (I started a tiny internet site for meeting minutes but getting the word out that it exists has been all but impossible) some people won't look at anything other than hardcopy paper and some people don't have time to sift through all the paper that comes home from school. Not to mention the language barriers.

Everyone works, lots of people can't get sitters and don't want to bring their kids to meetings. No one volunteers to lead anything, which means those who are willing to volunteer to help have no one to lead them and tell them what's expected of them, so they stop volunteering after one or two attempts.

At last nights event, they were touting all the good the PTA has done over the years (child labor laws, push for universal kindergarten, etc) But when I look at what we're doing now, I'm not sure we're helping the kids. I find myself wondering why I'm a member and what I could be doing to make it matter. We sponsor some fun assemblies and book fairs and school photos and an awesome Halloween party for the kids. But in this age when HALF of the kids in public school are living in poverty, and so many kids are suffering through forced "rigorous" academics and age-inappropriate testing practices... surely there's something more substantial we should be doing...
    Last edited by night faerie; February 6th, 2015 at 13:34.

...nf

Blog Entries

Haha, nf, calm down, I'm just teasing. It's a good thing to be one of those overachieving PTO/A parents. We interact with the PTO with some regularity because they basically run the two book fairs we do in the library per year, and it's great. Their meetings are usually in the library as well. For the most part they are super helpful and really on top of things.

I wish there were more parents who gave two shits (or even one) about their child's education and what was going on in the schools.

You didn't mention it, so maybe you're already doing stuff like this, but a lot of the stuff you're talking about is way out of the control of your local school district, or even local government. Sending regular correspondence to state reps on an official PTA letterhead, or calling them, would at least be something to do.
    Last edited by sir archely; February 6th, 2015 at 16:17.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries

There's PTA letterhead? yeah no we're not politically active. In fact, at one of the training seminars I attended they were very specific to tell us not to discuss politics as a member because PTA has it's own political views and we're not allowed to talk about stuff in case our personal views conflict with the "official" views. Stupid politics. I should totally be a politician.

...nf

Blog Entries

Sometimes I think I missed my calling as a loud-mouthed, brash politician. I'm not particularly loud-mouthed or brash, but I think I could be, if stupid people kept trying to "hold me accountable" for some stupid thing I said before I was a politician. Because that would totally happen. Also, I think it would be fun to run on a platform of "absolving the government in favour of a dictatorship led by me", but have that sort of hidden on the website and not talk about it a lot; and then, when I got elected, do exactly that and say "look, people, at best, only 40% of you actually vote, so this isn't a big deal for you. I'll do my best to just hire smart people to run this place efficiently and with the goal of making everyone's lives better. 25% of you already elected me, so it's a done deal. Go back to work. It's going to be OK." Mostly because I'm not totally sure democracy actually works in the modern era where elections are determined by who raised the most amount of money.

Politics rant over.
    Your sense of self is defined by what you think other people think of you.

I'm a militant Agnostic: I don't know and neither do you!

Blog Entries

I think there's PTA letterhead if you want there to be. It wouldn't be hard to create.

Also, that stuff about being told not to be political surprises me. What are the political views of the PTA if not the views of the people who show up and do stuff? Also also, i really hope that advocating on behalf of say, children in the educational system living in poverty, or advocating on behalf of the well-being of students in general isn't "political."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries

Oh, man, Anita, I would totally vote for you. Hell, I'd run with you! I'm not much of a leader but I'm a hell of a right hand man! I think we'd be a killer team. Take over North America for starters... but perhaps I get ahead of myself...

and arch, the views of the PTA are what the head of the PTA says they are. In this era of high stakes testing, it is quite political. At least the last email I got from the PTA-people-in-high-places (the national folks) was quite irate at Cuomo's most recent crap. At least that's something I can get behind. How did he get voted in with all the BS he spouts and that smug-ass fake face?

...nf

major major major major dark fuschia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

wow.\, the leaders of your PTA are not actually parents at your school????

That sounds totally dodgerama to me! Maybe it seemed a good idea, centralising fund etc at one time, and all lobbying together, but surely you need the power to influence things directly? And there are always local political issues. Also it sounds like they are doing a totally totally crap job the way the have left you in the lurch. NF you should totally take the PTA independent from this mob... get political!!! (Or be a right hand man and encourage someone else to do it....)

I have a giant box of peanut m&Ms which someone gave BP for Christmas. I reckon if he hasn't eaten them by Feb he has forfeited all rights....

Blog Entries

That just sounds like a weird structure nf. When you have meetings do you have agendas, someone taking minutes, business conducted through voting, etc.? I clearly don't know from anything as far as how the PTA works.

As far as I can tell, Cuomo got elected the first time for not being Paladino, and the second time for not being Astorino. Both of which would be much much worse in practice, but at least they'd be stabbing you in the face instead of the back. Paladino was actually pretty popular here in WNY, and is still wreaking havoc and being a gigantic asshole on the school board of Buffalo Public Schools.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries

no our PTA is parents (altho technically ANYONE can join, even if they have no kids at all, weird, huh?)
    and we answer to our district PTA who answers to the local county branch who answers to the state branch who answers to the National branch.

Our school's president was railroaded into taking the pres position b/c noone else would take it and I think this is her first year in PTA. She should have had last year's pres to mentor her, but that woman doesn't have kids at our school anymore, plus she was pretty ill the year she was president and only acted as Pres for like two months. The pres the year before wouldn't tell anyone anything even when she WAS pres and now is no longer affiliated.

So we have our president who is learning as she goes although she has practically no one to learn from, one VP who knows everything but doesn't like to delegate, a 2nd & 3rd VP who haven't been to one meeting all year, I'm the recording secretary so I prep the agenda & take minutes. We also have a corresponding secretary who doesn't come to meetings, a treasurer who is great but is a CPA so she doesn't have a lot of time around this time, tax time. We also have three delegates who are supposed to go to the district PTA meetings & bring us back info, but I never see them.

So we have meetings and I take minutes, we vote if we have enough members that show up (we need 10 in order to vote, which we don't always have, even when we count ourselves).

But we don't have committees for our events, because no one will volunteer to be in charge. Usually our VP does mostly everything because she finds its easier than explaining things to others and depending on people who bail out at the last minute. Problem of course is that her last child is graduating next year and when she's gone no one will know how things are supposed to run. I've told her she needs to train her successor but that's not happening, so...

I told our pres that my plan is that next year I'm not going to hold an office. I like the rec sec position, but we are only allowed to hold an office for two years in a row and I want to be able to hold the rec sec position the year after next which will be the first year we'll be without our VP. Who knows if we'll even have a President next year, though. We're supposed to nominate someone in March. ~sigh~

>edit< oh, and before anyone says I should be president, I will never take that position. I don't want the responsible, I'm not good at assessing who is good to delegate what to, plus the pres is supposed to go to like two meetings every week plus special events and I'm not devoting that much of my time to it.
    Last edited by night faerie; February 7th, 2015 at 11:40.

...nf

Blog Entries

In other news... I'm going to see Miranda Lambert in concert in March! I'm so excited!!!

...nf

Blog Entries

nf, that sounds...confusing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries

HAPPY BITHDAY TO YOUUUU...
    HAPPY BITHDAY TO YOUUUU...
    HAPPY BITHDAY DEAR ENCHANTED QUILLLLL....
    HAPPY BITHDAY TO YOUUUUU....
    ... and many more...

....... .. .....

...nf