Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV show Thread

The Espada 1st High House Dusk Apoc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The TV show Thread

Any show...what have you been watching and was it good, bad, meh?

Just watched the first two episodes of the new StarWars:Clone Wars tv series...i personally liked the clone wars film and the first two episodes have continued in the same vain, this being fast paced action on short mission plots involving characters from the movies in the gap between Ep2&3...so Anakin is still a Jedi and the clone wars are in full swing between the separatists and the republic...i do find though (and yeah i know its for kids) but sometimes the droid banter to be a bit too ridiculous and stupid.

The second season of Dexter finished recently over here in the uk and woah...quite a shocking finale, can't believe dokes got killed but yeah...i like that show even if i find the titles (close up shots of dexter eating) to be gross...so hope they change that for season 3.

Been hearing alot of buzz about a show thats about to hit british shores called Fringe...not sure about it...i like JJ Abrams but I think Lost got lost and i was never a massive Alias fan...but i'll give it a go when it premieres this weekend.

ummm what else?

Not really a tv show but a documentary series, Ross Kemp on Gangs is astonishingly brilliant and has had me gripped every episode...~shakeshead~ man, for a soap opera hardman to actually shake that off and be a fantastic journalist with balls the size of VG Canis Majoris is unbelievable in itself...but the content and handling of each episode is amazing...especially the most recent Kenya specials.

Generation Kill is another show that looks interesting but hasn't come out over here yet...is it good?

Obviously the new series of Heroes: Villains has started again...but we have a Heroes thread for that and i've already shared my views on what i think of it so far.

Keep catching episodes of past favorite shows like Red Dwarf, South Park, Black Books, Firefly etc etc...and obviously my anime...but ~shrugs~ not too much new stuff.
    "The world is made of words, and if you know the words that the world is made of, you can make of it whatever you wish."
    -Sinn

Blog Entries

Default Re: The TV show Thread

I'll say that I'm really loving Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. It's walking that fine line of action tv shows based off of a movie. It manages to be it's completely own thing, while still being faithful to the source material (not to mention completely ignoring everything altogether about that awful mass hallucination I keep hearing about...). I like where it goes, even though every now and then it gets a little weird, I'm finding myself faithfully turning on the tv every monday night to watch it. Coming from someone who routinely forgets that she actually has free cable, that's pretty amazing. I mean, I've barely watched TV in the past several years - I catch up on shows on DVD or I download something every now and then if I hear it's good (which is how I got hooked on Heroes and Terminator).

But really, other than those, I've been living clean and TV-free. Unless watching the entire Angel and Buffy series in the background while spinning/knitting counts... And the occasional dvd episode of Mr. Show. But those are DVDs, so I don't think they really count as TV anymore.
    Your sense of self is defined by what you think other people think of you.

I'm a militant Agnostic: I don't know and neither do you!

Rebellious Witch Whore!! High House Dawn Amelia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I dont have cable right now which sucks because Im missing Project Runway, which I love and not just because the future Mr. Amelia is on it. So I have been watching a reality competition, America's Toughest Job, which is interesting enough to watch and I was watching Chuck before the new shows came on and moved to a day when I work. I also like Missing and Cold Cases.
    Bonded to Sweet Bucky, Hyper SotSy, and Dashing Mike
    Smartmouth Goddess!
    I want to be Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
    Not really a tv show but a documentary series, Ross Kemp on Gangs is astonishingly brilliant and has had me gripped every episode...~shakeshead~ man, for a soap opera hardman to actually shake that off and be a fantastic journalist with balls the size of VG Canis Majoris is unbelievable in itself...but the content and handling of each episode is amazing...especially the most recent Kenya specials.
    I watched a few episodes on dailymotion, awesome series. Rio is crazy, man. And Cape Town... Talk about fucking hard. The prison guard who showed him around was a pretty amazing guy, a true humanitarian in spite of the hell hole he works in. Kemp does do a great job, too, when it comes to winning people's trust and getting them to talk about their lives. I only wish the episodes were longer so that they could show more footage.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I don't really watch tv when I can help it, but I do have a few ongoing obsessions with Gilmore Girls, Haruhi Suzumiya, the Mighty Boosh and a few others. I really got into Skins when it was showing here not long ago as well. I think it was the second season. It's pretty over the top sometimes, but that's what I love about it. It's also smart, touching, diverse, and really funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Anita Blake View Post
    I'll say that I'm really loving Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. It's walking that fine line of action tv shows based off of a movie. It manages to be it's completely own thing, while still being faithful to the source material (not to mention completely ignoring everything altogether about that awful mass hallucination I keep hearing about...). I like where it goes, even though every now and then it gets a little weird, I'm finding myself faithfully turning on the tv every monday night to watch it. Coming from someone who routinely forgets that she actually has free cable, that's pretty amazing. I mean, I've barely watched TV in the past several years - I catch up on shows on DVD or I download something every now and then if I hear it's good (which is how I got hooked on Heroes and Terminator).
    This

Sarah Connor Chronicles rocks on so many levels, it is by far my most favorite show of the season. And who can say no to the Tamminator? I mean, come on!

The Fringe is a fun show, but I won't know if I will truly like it until the main plot gets fleshed out a bit more. I need some details on Big Brother.

Heroes: Villains is way cooler than last season, they really are letting the rat out of the cage this season. Time travel, killing, alter egos, you name it!

House, a long time favorite of mine has been back burnered. *sighs* The most recent episode was the only good one of the bunch, and oddly enough it was because Carter got a bit more screen time. Greg House needs to go back to the basics and be the low key grumpy brilliant jerk I worshiped. He's been over compensating too much lately.

Sanctuary looks interesting. I saw the two hour premiere last weekend and it looks interesting, and has a lot of similarities to Torchwood. I'll give it a few episodes to flesh out what it's about, much like The Fringe.

Nothing else this season has been jumping out at me. I find myself not watching TV much at all for once. Having had a roommate who watched EVERYTHING, it is comforting to watch almost NOTHING.
    I wanna be like a goose and fly to new orleans for the winter and to canada for the summer.

Gaidin to Amelia. She is the bomb. And the keeper of satan's nose. Acually, all I have now is her right nostril...

souvraya niende misain ye Amyrlin's Avatar

I just saw the trailer of "Legend of the Seeker".
    I'm just hoping they'll also air the series here in the Philippines.
    I didn't finish the book but i'm dying to watch the show.

Has anybody seen it already?
    ~Keeper of the Shells. Flamingo of Tar Valon ~

King Sloth High House Chaos sir archely's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only new show i'm really interested in is the Fringe thing. Like Buck i'm not sold yet, it's too much set up so far and not enough stuff. I imagine that the last episode with the mysterious earth torpedo sound pod was way too vague and lost them some viewers. Basically nothing happened. Oh noes, it's X-files meets Lost.
    I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries

I might check out My Own Worst Enemy, mainly because ... Christian Slater! I mean, Christian Slater! !! !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    I dont have cable right now which sucks because Im missing Project Runway, which I love and not just because the future Mr. Amelia is on it. So I have been watching a reality competition, America's Toughest Job, which is interesting enough to watch and I was watching Chuck before the new shows came on and moved to a day when I work. I also like Missing and Cold Cases.
    i find it SO funny that you substitute a show about such jobs as gold hunting in teh coldest part of alaska, for a show that involves making clothes in a fab studio. i'm pretty amused by this. although, to be fair, i've watched this show a few times, and i find it really entertaining.

... i bet you could find project runway online. and, did you know that the producers are making a show to find a jr fashion editor for elle?

currently, the only shows i follow (with any sort of religious fanaticism) are the daily show and colbert report

... oh, and ANTM!
    May you have warm words on a cold evening,
    A full moon on a dark night,
    And the road downhill all the way to your door.

engaged to Waffles

Mistress of Shadows High House Moon night faerie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Both Fringe & Sarah Connor Chronicals I've watched because they should be good, but they have failed to hold my interest. I find myself forcing myself from changing the channels because of JJ Abrams and Summer Glau (and now, Shirley Manson) and not because the show is interesting at all.

I think SCC has done a good job of adapting from the movies, there's a good feel... like tempo and speech patterns that they've managed to sort of duplicate. But yeah, I just don't find myself getting lost in the shows, it's more a struggle because I want to like them so much. ~shurgs~

arch, you hit the nail on the head on Fringe, it is Lost meets X Files but with Fringe, the drama seems forced to me. The actors don't bring life to the characters, I'm acutely aware that they're actors.

My current fave (from last season) is Chuck. It's so smartly funny, plus it's got Adam Baldwin, who's brilliant, and hot chicks, always a plus. It's a show that is like a dumb blonde you suddenly discover has a Phd.

Obviously the TV isn't on an awful lot these days in our house. My kid likes WonderPets I know, I know, she's not yet 3 months old & she's got a favorite TV show already, what can I say.

Chrono & I both like Anthony Bourdain's show on Travel channel. (he's this tough talking NYer who travels the world befriending Jay Average citizen in whatever today's destination, sampling local cuisine & through it, their culture. Oh, and drinking and smoking a LOT)

LOVE Top Chef, can't tell you why but I'm totally hooked.

Guilty pleasures: So You Think You Can Dance and Real World / Road Rules Challenge (Mtv)

"...just an idle doodle in the margins of our minds ..."
    ...nf

Blog Entries

Oh my!

Anthony Bourdain is GOD! (I'm going to Hell now, aren't I?) I love him. It's so well known in my family that my mother refers to him as my boyfriend. I love No Reservations to the point that my parents DVR them for me and once I watch them, I keep them for rainy days. It's like shopping...I just can't stop. And on a side note...his book, "Kitchen Confidential," is written exactly like he talks. I loved him even more once I read it. He's so bad ass.

..That's pretty much my only COOL show.

After that is Big Bang Theory (Geeks! Love 'em!), How I Met Your Mother (Neil Patrick Harris...a demi-God, maybe?)& The New Adventures of Old Christine (...It's really not that good, but they're all idiots and that makes me chuckle). And when does Rules of Engagement start again?! I heart Partick Warburton!

OH! ..and sometimes...John & Kate Plus Eight! EIGHT KIDS!!! I like to joke that I want a couple dozen mini-me&yous running around. But then I watch that show and it makes me go, "Hm..okay..maybe I'll just have everything ripped out NOW!" Greeeeeat Birth Control.

Like I said, No Reservations is my only cool show.
    A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Oh. About that...

Rebellious Witch Whore!! High House Dawn Amelia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anita Blake View Post
    I might check out My Own Worst Enemy, mainly because ... Christian Slater! I mean, Christian Slater! !! !!!
    Christian Slater burped in my ear.....it wasnt pretty.

I also like Chuck. They were showing it on fridays but now they arent so I cant watch it but it was funny! Specially when he learned to tango.

Arianna, yeah the two shows are different but they are both doing things unlike Survivor or Big Brother.
    Last edited by Amelia; October 12th, 2008 at 17:44.
    Bonded to Sweet Bucky, Hyper SotSy, and Dashing Mike
    Smartmouth Goddess!
    I want to be Wonder Woman

Quick! To the Volcano! High House Moon Eyreplenh's Avatar
    Here, there, there's pieces of me everywhere
    Blog Entries

I'm really bad at watching tv... I do catch up with a lot of the good stuff on dvd though. So, since I doubt I'm watching anything anyone would be surprised of, here's my favourites in stead.

Sopranos. No other show comes close, in my opinion
    Seinfeld. Kept it going a little bit longer than necessary, but seasons 1 through four is top notch.
    Blackadder. Really, the hours I've spent over the years watching this over and over...
    Carnivale. Great weird show. Fantastic production
    The Office. Ricky Gervais... nuff said
    Black Books. Manny. Manny! MANNY!
    Babylon 5. Once I got beyond the fact that the makeup and costumes are whack; great show!

Other stuff I like, if a little less religiously...
    Battlestar Galactica. I actually though this might be great. I though so whilst watching it. But then a few weeks ago I was going to pick up a new season and I could not remember if I'd seen one or two or three already
    Little Britain. Great highs, some lows, at least after the brilliant first season.
    House. Along with scrubs the only hospital-revolving series I've ever seen.
    Scrubs. Zach Braff is a good thing. I think we can agree on that.
    Earth 2. Okay, the show got canceled after one season only and Ionly vaguely remember it, but in my mind it is great.
    Extras. Not the Office, but damn good nonetheless. Noone does embarassing like Ricky.
    I'll throw Six Feet Under in here as well. Devoured half of the first season recently and am loving it.

There's a few shows I'll probably catch up with after a while... Like Entourage, The Wire... And I've probably forgotten some.

I don't know, there seems like there was ages since a show stuck hard enough for me to remember "whoa, it's thursday, ___'s on!" Yay for dvds!
    High Marshal of Decadence

And all I loved, I loved alone

The Espada 1st High House Dusk Apoc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All time?
    Favourites?

hmmm well the easy ones that spring to mind-Firefly, Naruto, Cowboy Bebop, Bleach, Claymore, the Shield, Samurai Champloo, Death Note, Space:Above and Beyond, Spaced...

Other shows i've enjoyed immensely...Full Metal Alchemist, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Battlestar Gallactica, Band of Brothers, Azu Manga Daioh, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Wolf's Rain, Ghost in the Shell, Babylon 5, Paranoia Agent, Red Dwarf, The 4400, Dangermouse...
    "The world is made of words, and if you know the words that the world is made of, you can make of it whatever you wish."
    -Sinn

Blog Entries

I did check out My Own Worst Enemy. Meh. It's not lame, but it's not great. Feels like it might go somewhere, but I can't honestly see it lasting more than a season, and if it goes for the full season, I'd be a little surprised. I mean, I think there's really only so much you can pull out of the opposite split personalities in one body trying to learn about eachother scenario. Christian slater is good, but he's been better. It's not really that well written. So, meh. I might watch it again, since it's after Heroes and I don't have anything else to do at that time, but it's not super compelling.