View Poll Results: Do you pay income tax?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 85.71%
  • No

3 14.29%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Income Tax?

King Sloth High House Chaos sir archely's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Income Tax?

Quote Originally Posted by dark fuschia View Post
    Here's a funny fact; I have only ever quit one job in my life, and that was when I worked at a fish and chip shop. At that fish and chip shop my supervisor was this bully girl who I didn't like very much. By some bizarre co-incidence she is the human resources person at this job. She'll think I am a quitter! WAAAA!! And some 15 year old part of me is still hugely intimidated by her. Crazy stuff! LOL
    I'm sorry df, but this is absolutely hilarious. You could make this paragraph into a short film or something.
    I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hehe, that reminds me of a Ghanese worker I had to supervise at my first job. His pasport said he was 65, the legal pension age over here (although I think it might be raised to 75 by the time I get there). But in reality, I think he was barely 45.

So, now he's living in Ghana with a very modest pension to our standards, since he hasn't worked for long, but over there he's the king of the town.

I can't applaud it, but on the other hand it was a very smart move.
    "When I think I might die without seeing a hundredth of all there is to see it makes me feel," he paused, then added, "well, humble, I suppose."
    " And very angry, of course."

major major major major dark fuschia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hmm wow in Aus you definately can't get welfare if you live in another country. No way!

While ripping off governments may seem fun, I don't think it's good for anyone least of all the person who does it. It must wreak havoc with their own sense of self worth. Pension ages are also interesting, I really don't ever want to retire. My current job has cemented that ideal in me. Peoples brains melt and dribble out of their ears the moment they retire. I don't think its the other way round (that people should retire because they are growing stupider). I certainly don't think people should retreat from society the moment they turn 65. I know they may be tired, and certainly they should cut down their work, or change the nature of it, but they should still remain very active for their own good or they start to turn inward on themselves and become very miserable and bored. I think they still have alot to contribute.

lol arch a short film would be fun! You should have seen my face when I showed up at the interview. This girl had ballooned to about two or three times her original size since she was 16, but it was the same face peering at me... "Hello Wendy, I thought it was you when I saw the name on your application form." I played it cool but inside I was terrified! She may have matured, but I still knew that the childish monster who would never let me have a go of the grill was hiding in that plump and friendly face. When I quit my first job she put it about that she would beat me up. What if she does that again? She's heaps bigger now!

High Roller High House Moon Dregs's Avatar

She's heaps bigger now!
    And slower, too I imagine. You could always distract her with a cream bun and run away.
    (I told you it was a mistake to let me have a signature.)

Ah, the old cream bun trick. I was always more partial to the strawberry cheesecake and shovel trick.
    I wanna be like a goose and fly to new orleans for the winter and to canada for the summer.

Gaidin to Amelia. She is the bomb. And the keeper of satan's nose. Acually, all I have now is her right nostril...

Blog Entries

While ripping off governments may seem fun, I don't think it's good for anyone least of all the person who does it. It must wreak havoc with their own sense of self worth.
    I can't agree more. I mean, I lived off unemployment once legitimately for about 4 months and it was awful. Here, if you're eligible, they'll give you 55% of what you were previously earning. (You aren't eligible if you quit or are fired, but if you're laid off or your job is eliminated, you are). So, on the one hand, I was getting half a paycheck just to look for work (Oh, and you have to prove that you're looking for work actively, you need to submit at least 5 resumes a week or some such - even if you're only temporarily laid off and are due to be rehired at a set date, which is a condition I could rant about for a while, but then I realize that it's to thwart ne'er-do-wells and that's OK). On the other hand, I felt like I had to be constantly scrambling to prove that I wasn't ripping off the government (because yeah, I want to try to live on significantly less than I am worth).

By the end of it, I was so happy to get a job and not have to answer to shadowy civil servants who could care less about my circumstances - I didn't care what that job was. (Luckily it turned out to be a decent job that led to further opportunities. Yay me!). Still, as an honest person, I felt demeaned a belittled by "the system". I am currently dreading the thought of having to go back on EI this summer, even though I legitimately may need to (cross fingers that someone finds out I'm available and jumps for joy and hires me right away - well, maybe 1 month of EI would be alright )

Not sure where I was going with this other than rambling, but I think it was to say that I dislike people who abuse the system, not because I have to pay for it, but because it reveals a character that is inherently lazy and greedy, and I don't care for those character traits in combination. But I can also imagine that it's a vicious cycle - lazy guy takes the dole (we use that word here too, in some regions more than others), feels worthless for it, gets too depressed to work, continues taking welfare, feels worse, can't work, needs welfare.... Gross. Please let that never happen to me.

It's easy though, because even in 4 months, I felt it - the futility of it all, the lack of a schedule to keep to, the "I'll just send my resume out later... I can just enjoy the day today, and tomorrow I'll get to work looking for work." "Oops, I slept in. It would look lazy to send resumes out at 2:00 PM, no, no, I'll call them tomorrow morning, bright and early, show initiative. I guess this day's a wash, might as well watch a movie." "this perfect job listing was placed yesterday on Craigslist, it's probably taken by now, how depressing." I think that more than anything is why I'm terrified about my upcoming unemployment.
    Your sense of self is defined by what you think other people think of you.

I'm a militant Agnostic: I don't know and neither do you!

Quick! To the Volcano! High House Moon Eyreplenh's Avatar
    Here, there, there's pieces of me everywhere
    Blog Entries

Heh, perfectly summarized Anita. I was eligible for support for a maximum of six months after my year up north, but the "futility of it all, the lack of schedule to keep to", crept up on my to the extent where I didn't even bother/manage to get down to social services to fill out the forms. Naturally, in part because I did have enough money saved up to get me by those couple of months -when it ran out I had to do something and was lucky to get two jobs within a week.

It sort of bugs me now that I didn't swallow that pride, because those savings could have taken me around the world now, but...

I used to spend my days looking at whatever tv-shows I could find online (I had no tv) and every other day venture to the store to buy some bread and jam and whatever. Now I think what an asshole and idiot I were those months, I could have aced a couple of exams back then, gotten into shape -but even my reading habits detereoriated because watching tv on my laptop was easier or something. It frightens me to think of the extent of apathy crept up in me in those few days.
    High Marshal of Decadence

And all I loved, I loved alone

major major major major dark fuschia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The strawberry cheesecake and shovel trick? LOL I am not familiar with that one. The cream bun though, that's a classic. Although I often just end up distracted by the cream bun myself. MMM cream bun...

This television watching, over sleeping, jam and bread eating person may be me soon. <<<SIGH>>> I really wish I didn't finish the culmination of 19 years of study during a recession.