Thread: The Leader

Blog Entries

Default The Leader

So, old news: Barack Obama elected president. That's kind of what this is about, but not really. I was just thinking, and wondering what other people think:

What is the role of a Leader?

I'm not talking specifically the President of the USA, or the Prime Minister of Wheresit, I'm talking general, vague, fuzzily-defined concept of Leader. Sure, the big P falls into the category, but I"m talking the category itself.

My brother has been spouting his anarchistic leanings at me lately, swearing that the world would be a better place without any government, without anyone leading the pack. I tend to disagree. I think that people in general need someone to follow, they need a Leader. This can come in many forms; different people need different leaders. We are not all one homogeneous population. Some need an absentee Leader who won't actually do anything to intervene in their decisions, but who will influence them via inspiration (ie, God). Some need a leader who doesn't inspire, but simply gives orders and punishes those who disobey (like a military guy). Some have insane expectations and expect both, and more.

What do you expect from a Leader? What style of Leadership do you think is best? (bonus points if you start discussing the merits of various different leaders throughout history, and an A++ if you use bullet points!)
    Your sense of self is defined by what you think other people think of you.

I'm a militant Agnostic: I don't know and neither do you!

High Roller High House Moon Dregs's Avatar

Default Re: The Leader

If it's possible to be a born 2IC, then I think I am one. I need a boss, someone who'll tell me what needs doing, and then sends me out to do it. Clear and definate outcomes and expectations, and the ability to chuck in with the dirty work when needed. I think I just need an authority figure, even if it was a boss made of straw with a "boss" sign around their neck.
    (I told you it was a mistake to let me have a signature.)

I agree with both AB and Dregs that leadership is needed. And I also think that many types of leadership are sought. From research done with children and animals we have seen the "need" for parental leadership but also how "bad" parenting (leadership) can harm individuals.
    I think I am simialar to Dregs in that I need some direction from my leader, but then I want some autonomy to make decisions and program changes as I see fit. MY leader has to have the confidence in me to let me run with an idea without backstabbing me later with lies or deception. I want my leader to give guidance and direction without micromanagement.

Hmm, missed this thread somehow.

Leadership is a must in any sort of large group environment.

On a federal/province/city level, maintenance at the very least needs to be performed. Roads need repaving, schools need to be regulated, and police and fire stations need to stay active to protect the populace from itself.

At every level, some form of leadership is needed. Without someone in charge to make a decision, order someone to do something, and to be able to hold people accountable, nothing would get done.

Can some sort of utopian society exist where everyone is an equal and there are no leaders? I think not. People tend to get lazy and under no law enforcement it has been found clinically that most people would freely harm one another just b/c they could.
    I wanna be like a goose and fly to new orleans for the winter and to canada for the summer.

Gaidin to Amelia. She is the bomb. And the keeper of satan's nose. Acually, all I have now is her right nostril...

King Sloth High House Chaos sir archely's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Interestingly, i read some article (or perhaps a couple articles, i can't find it/them) in the time leading up to the election that had two main points. The first was that people are more easily led than they would probably like to believe. A crowd of people can be easily led by just a few, if they even seem to know what they are doing or where they are going. People actually do behave like sheep in this regard. Also, they will stick to an old path they have been taught, even if shown a new, faster path. It's clear to see why this would be selected for, but it's also pretty illustrative of the power of outliers in our society.
    The other point made was that people were more likely to want a leader like themselves. The point was relevant to presidential selection in that more than selecting someone who is intelligent, well-qualified, articulate, etc., most people will subconsciously (or consciously) select the leader who has qualities more similar to their own. Again, i don't think it's terribly difficult to see why that behavior has been selected for over time, but i do think it's interesting, and somewhat counter-intuitive before you think about it explicitly.
    I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dalai Lama Gets Top Rating In Survey On World Leaders

The other world leader ranked near the top in popularity was Pope Benedict XVI. That two religious leaders are ranked in the top five surprised Brent Scowcroft, the former U.S. national security adviser, who was asked about the results on the France 24 program "The Talk of Paris."

"What it says is that the world is yearning for an, if not religious, at least a humanistic approach that puts religion - or if you will, care and concern for one's fellow man - at the top of the agenda," Scowcroft said.
    I definitely agree with that, though I would add that the Dalai Lama embodies many other significant qualities that make him more than just a popular leader - intelligence, determination, thoughtfulness, energy, understanding, friendliness, patience... We should just elect him king of the world and be done with it.

Blog Entries

plus, the dalai lama is the most cute of all leaders, don't forget how cute he is!
    Your sense of self is defined by what you think other people think of you.

I'm a militant Agnostic: I don't know and neither do you!