Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Flu Vaccinations (and others?)

The Espada 1st High House Dusk Apoc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Flu Vaccinations (and others?)

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtnoir View Post
    These are the numbers of those that have died, not the contraction numbers.
    What percentage of those though do you think where in full health? And these are WHO stats again, to which i distrust.

I think we have a social responsibility to take care of ourselves. Here's why...

There's that quote, "My right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." It means we have the right do do whatever we want with our bodies, as long as they don't impede on the rights of someone else. I think that applies here. You have the right to not get vaccinated. But your not getting vaccinated means you could get sick. And you may not die. But you may come into my store and use my pen to sign you receipt and then through out that day, me and eleven other people will use that pen. You've just contaminated us. Your right to not get vaccinated has violated our right to try to be healthy. I can take all the Vitamin C in the world, but it's not nessicarily going to be protect me from your cooties on my BIC.

My mum, as you may or may not know, is super sick. Pretty much any little thing we bring into the house, she ends up getting. My co-workers could have serious colds, it will skip me, but because I worked with them for 6 hours and used the same pens as them...My mother ends up getting sick. Because of that, I'm always gung-ho about ways to prevent her getting sick...and I really love hand sanitizer.
    heh yeah fizz we do have a responsibility to take care of ourselves. And if that's your fear fizz that you may pick up the flu from some stranger at work that has used the same pen as you and you pass this onto your mum who can't get the jab to protect her then in my eyes that's not the stranger that is at fault, it is not the stranger that is in contact with someone who is in danger of this virus, it is you. I can understand you getting the jab because you are in contact with your mother who it could be very bad for...and in your scenario, if you've had the jab, where is the risk? To me the risk would be a scenario where your mother is in the store and in all honesty girl, no matter how may people get the jab there will always be one, mayhaps like your mother who can't get the jab, has the virus and passes it on...why get perfectly healthy people jabbed with shite that is made by distrustful people and being fear mongered by a distrustful media...i think this probably might save a few lives amoungst the weak but i think it could make alot of healthy people have problems too where if they hadn't gotten it they would be fine. Simply, if this vaccine is taken by a healthy person to protect a weak person and turns them into a weak person, i think that'd be a tragedy.

And please stop with the guilt laden scenarios, we can all do them-young perfectly healthy single mother of two beautiful children one with special needs, takes vaccine and walking up the stairs is hit with the dizzy side effect and falls to her death, tragic.

Anyways, how many of you have actually had the vaccine or flu yet? I also read on the cdc site that it's not even a 50% effective vaccine, meaning it'll only work on like 4/10 people.
    Last edited by Apoc; October 22nd, 2009 at 15:44.
    "The world is made of words, and if you know the words that the world is made of, you can make of it whatever you wish."
    -Sinn

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
    Anyways, how many of you have actually had the vaccine or flu yet? I also read on the cdc site that it's not even a 50% effective vaccine, meaning it'll only work on like 4/10 people.
    Adria has had her vaccination for awhile now having gotten it at a Dr. appointment. Lane, Kaia and I got ours today. The kids would have had theirs well before now but I could never get them in when there was a supply of it. Finally was able to get in.

In addition. Lane and Kaia and I all have had the flu before we were able to get the vaccination. But Adria who has had hers hasn't gotten sick at all. Not even after her brother sneezed right in her face by accident when trying to turn his head away from Kaia. (he was told to cover his mouth instead next time)

In Michigan right now Schools are being shut down because so many kids and teachers are getting sick. My kids school is still open but they kids report that more than half their classes are out. a few of the schools haven't been open all week long. That is a lot of class time learning that the kids are all missing out on, and its putting all those parents in a bind since they have to either take time off of work to take care of their kids (sick or even just healthy at home because their schools are closed), or find someone to take care of them for them. A lot of places don't let the parents take the time off of work. Its really hard on them. For example My friend Kara is only really in a bind. At her work if she takes off of work she is put on probationary status for 60 days. If she misses work 3x she is unemployed. Her kids are off of school all week because of the schools being closed. She's been struggling to find someone to take her kids so she doesn't lose her job. and the winter hasn't even hit yet when she will have to worry about where to put her kids when they are actually the ones sick or for snow days.
    Last edited by Kalle al'Tear; October 22nd, 2009 at 16:25.
    Everything that is or was began with a dream- Lavagirl

Does this Font make my butt look big?

High Roller High House Moon Dregs's Avatar

If we derive a benefit from "running with the herd", do we not have an obligation to protect "the herd?"
    (I told you it was a mistake to let me have a signature.)

major major major major dark fuschia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fizzy I thought it was pretty obvious I was referring to Kalle, and I also thought it was pretty obvious she was fear mongering. Maybe you missed it, I have absolutely no qualms about reposting it at all since Kalle offered no apology for it even though NF expressed her distress.

How many more beautiful children have to die before you are concerned about this flu? I have to wonder also would you feel so "meh its not that serious" if your own beautiful baby were to be added to the death count, and that you knew there was a possible way to prevent her death but you didn't take the opportunity to use it?

This is going to sound cold but a neighbor who is all really big on she wont vaccinate her kids, Last year her kids got sick with small pox.. They were one of those few kids that got that illness. She lost her youngest from complications to it. I do feel very bad for her, and so sad that her family has to go through the horror of losing such a beautiful child so young. But at the same time I keep thinking.. You could have prevented this and she would still be her if you had just let her have the vaccination. It was a needless death.
    In answer to Dregs, I agree we do have a responsibility to protect the herd, and I agree that the herd really doesn't have enough information on this one to make a good decision. However I also think that the authorities don't have enough information and/or that information is skewed so I don't trust their decision. Thus heated argument in support of maintaining right to decide without encountering disrespect for said decision.

Basically people are stupid and ignorant, so they can't decide en masse about this vaccine, so we should tell them to take it and just shut up because it will do them good. But also people are stupid, and that includes scientists, corporations and government health officials, so they can't really make that decision either. Add a bit of greed and academic ambition into the mix and you have a recipe for: it's best just for everyone to take responsibility for themselves in this scenario and let time tell if it's a ngood vaccine. That is, I honestly think the majority of people will take it if it's good and it works, it's unfortunate if that doesn't happen until after a world wide preventable epidemic I guess, and after many deaths, but thats ok, thats how the world works, you can't really lose what you never had, you can't say that someone should be alive because they should have used a vaccine. It doesn't matter, they didn't, and we should respect that, whether it was by chance, sound reasoning or stupidity and that even goes for the poor small pox lady who Kalle enjoys gloating about, who knows what lead her to that decision? Maybe her parents were drug addicts leading her to mistrust all injections... it's simply incorrect to assume people should think the same way as you and come to the same conclusions then disrespect them if they make different decisions. Yes they might be stupid, but they also might be simply disadvantaged. Or YOU might be simply disadvantaged.
    Last edited by dark fuschia; October 23rd, 2009 at 02:38.

Rebellious Witch Whore!! High House Dawn Amelia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

to answer Apoc's question. Im not getting the vaccine and I havent gotten the flu yet. We shall see I suppose. I live alone so I think the biggest way to get exposed is at work since some people come to work while they are sick. My friend, Sexy Momma all 3 of her kids and her boyfriend all got sick. She took the oldest to the clinic since she was really bad and they told her it was H1N1 but then later back-tracked and said it wasnt. However she did not get sick at all, shes claiming its because she drank Tang and ate alot of bananas. I was going to go drive up and see her but then I remembered everybody was sick so I stayed away.
    Bonded to Sweet Bucky, Hyper SotSy, and Dashing Mike
    Smartmouth Goddess!
    I want to be Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by dark fuschia View Post
    Fizzy I thought it was pretty obvious I was referring to Kalle, and I also thought it was pretty obvious she was fear mongering. Maybe you missed it, I have absolutely no qualms about reposting it at all since Kalle offered no apology for it even though NF expressed her distress.
    While I stated in here that I wouldn't be smug if that happened and would feel bad about it. I apologized to NF in private I didn't feel the need to post in here where others saw. I figured it would mean more if she knew I was doing it because I meant it not because I was publicly trying to save face or something

and I wasn't bragging about my neighbor whose child died. I was stating what happened. She chose to not have her kids vaccinated. She said its because she hates needles and wont put her kids through the horror of getting sometimes 5 shots at once. this was stated in a conversation on another neighbors front porch when a bunch of us were chatting just 3 months before this all happened. Her kids were the only ones of all the kids in the neighborhood who got small pox and there are at least 30 kids and they all play closely together. All the other kids had been vaccinated for it. I am just stating the conclusions that I reached from that. And then there is the fact that right after she changed her mind and had all her surviving kids go through the process of getting up to date on their vaccinations. Which was harder on them than if they had just gotten them as babies gradually as they grew. instead they got a whole bunch of shots in a few short months. Babies forget about the shots, the kids didn't. It WAS a needless death. Just as it would have been a needless death if the girl had died in a car accident or something.

Oh and the smallpox discussion is relevant to the topic. In the original post Arch was saying all vaccines he wasn't just talking about the flu that is just what was most talked about.
    Last edited by Kalle al'Tear; October 23rd, 2009 at 07:31.

Blog Entries

While I am glad to hear you apologised Kalle, I'm not sure why you didn't feel the need to apologise publicly, something about getting your cake and eating it too comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalle al'Tear View Post
    . I figured it would mean more if she knew I was doing it because I meant it not because I was publicly trying to save face or something
    that is why I didn't do it in here

Blog Entries

I believe your intentions Kalle, I am sorry I doubted them.

This has become a silly thread and it's upset Fizzy now too by the looks of it. *sigh* usually it's religion or politics that should be avoided at dinner parties. Now it's health issues.

Rebellious Witch Whore!! High House Dawn Amelia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i thought they dont give the small pox vaccine anymore. I thought they stopped it in 1970 or 69 or something because when I had to get it through the military I only had the 3 little scrapes unlike an older chaplain who received it as a child had to get like 15 scrapes.
    Bonded to Sweet Bucky, Hyper SotSy, and Dashing Mike
    Smartmouth Goddess!
    I want to be Wonder Woman

Blog Entries

I heard it was extinct but that it escaped from a lab somewhere in russia. Damned russians.

Ok.. I was talking to a different neighbor today (the neighbor who somehow knows everything about everyone) and I apparently confused the illnesses. It wasn't smallpox it was measles that the family got that everyone else was vaccinated against. I don't know how I confused them other than they both get spots and stuff. I just knew my kids had the shots, not the chicken pox but much worse,and it was over a year ago that it happened. sorry for the confusion. It was measles not smallpox.

Quote Originally Posted by dark fuschia View Post
    I heard it was extinct but that it escaped from a lab somewhere in russia. Damned russians.
    There was a small outbreak of small pox in the UK a short time ago (I can't remember when, couple of years maybe) that was contained pretty quickly. It escaped from a lab. Other than in labs, small pox has been eradicated.

Blog Entries

ahh so it was the brits then. Well that's ok then really, I retract my statement. Rule Britannia and all that.

btw lmao at your location Dregs.

I am in Syd"oh yeah forgot about that left-lane"ney and I don't even have Canberra number plates...

I dare say a Russian lab somewhere has small pox in a freezer. The idea being that if someone used small pox as a biological weapon, they'd have the capacity to develop countermeasures. Where anyone would get small pox other than from one of these labs I'm not quite sure, but best to be prepared.

I thought Sydney was more Syd "whatever lane you're in, you're still in my way" ney?