Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: world cup 2010

Blog Entries

Default Re: world cup 2010

Well...just to throw a wrench (it's a wrench, right?) in your thoughts...most store alarm gates aren't advanced enough to know whether the security tag is between the two gates or just on the other side if. Basically, the security sonar stuff works in a figure 8 around the two gates. So, if the security tag is on the outside of the gate, but close enough, it'll still go off. Which, I guess would mean if the ball whizzed by the outside of the goal, it could still go off.

..But I'm sure that there's higher technology out there than target security gates and you were just giving an example. How does it work in hockey? What makes the light go off on those goals?
    A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Oh. About that...

Quick! To the Volcano! High House Moon Eyreplenh's Avatar
    Here, there, there's pieces of me everywhere
    Blog Entries

Hockey has automatic sensors I think...

Ah, yes, Brazil they look rock solid. That back four is mean! Also, I think key players like Kaka and Robinho has been looking better as the tourney has progressed so I have good hopes of them making it to the final. Was a bit disappointed in Holland and Germany is the only other side that has looked impressive. Player by player though, I think Spain has the stronger team, but they have a bumpier road to the final (starting today) and they really need to up their game. Still haven't seen them actually play a full match -they might be forced to do so today and it will be exciting to see how they perform if they have to chase a winner all to the end. Especially with that wicked boy Ronaldo chasing away and punishing any weakness. Paraguay - Japan, who knows where that will go? The SA teams have performed well though, so I will hold Para as slight favourites.

As most of the experts are saying, FIFAs hand will probably be forced to implement some technology before the next major thingy. I just hope it will be something as simple and instantaneous as possible, bacause backwards traditionalist or not, I really don't want to see the game getting any more chopped up than it has to be. Men behind the goals or sensors, go! For offsides and red cards and that kind of thing... leave it alone, I say. On that note, not by far the most discussed, but the worst goal so far to be approved is probably Argentinas second against mexico -that was an horrendous mistakes by the refs, an offside so clear no video should be necessary.

And oh! We have made a few good predictions in our setups it seems. Arch and me have locked down five of the six quarter finalists so far and both have a possibility for seven at the end of this day (and it cannot be both), Apoc running right behind with four so far with a possible six. Arch has the edge though as he's the only one whose final/losers final predictions can still hold true. Go Spain
    High Marshal of Decadence

And all I loved, I loved alone

Blog Entries

Brazil certainly looks strong. Overall it's high level football. We Dutch fluctuate between good and uninspired lousiness. Not from one game to another but from one quarter of an hour to another. Odd that. Unfortunately the Brazilians are quite aware of the Dutch potential and won't be fooled into thinking it' might be an easy win. That kind of respect, combined with better defenses might make the difference. Then again, these are all or nothing games.

As to the technical stuff, most calls the referees make are correct. But when the stakes are this high, any error weighs heavy. And any idiotic blunder will be blown up to universal scale. It's part of the game. Electronic aids are perhaps the future, but where's the limit. Before you know it the game halts about every minute, and that will take a lot of the magic out of football.
    I'm only flesh and blood
    But I can be anything that you demand

Hypothetically speaking Mike, let's assume a very distant future (say ~100 years). Would you be ok with an AI that uses cameras to report what really happened in real time to the refs?
    I wanna be like a goose and fly to new orleans for the winter and to canada for the summer.

Gaidin to Amelia. She is the bomb. And the keeper of satan's nose. Acually, all I have now is her right nostril...

Blog Entries

A hundred years from now I expect the referee to be an AI

I'm not saying electronic aids aren't going to happen. Or even that I'm against it. But I am worried about the balance between a game based on skills and chances and a game based on skills and absolutes.
    I'm only flesh and blood

Well, the 100 years bit was more for creating a cushion to minimize bias more than anything. The tech I mentioned above is feasible in the next 5 years, easily. And I don't see how the chances element is removed with more accurate reffing. The chance should lie in the player's ability to do whatever, not getting caught.
    I wanna be like a goose and fly to new orleans for the winter and to canada for the summer.

Gaidin to Amelia. She is the bomb. And the keeper of satan's nose. Acually, all I have now is her right nostril...

King Sloth High House Chaos sir archely's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Spain over Portugal... great goal... but yet another bullshit red. Not that it really impacted anything, but what a bullshit call.
    I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yea, the replay on ESPN showed how blatantly bullshit the "hit" was. I really loved how he kept touching his ear and checking for blood and rinsed it with water. During the zoom in, it was very obvious that his ear was not even red at all. Pathetic. Yea, Spain was the better team in the match but good god, something needs to be done about all this theatrical simulation. Retrospective red cards please, k thx, bye.
    Last edited by Buck; June 29th, 2010 at 21:23.

The Espada 1st High House Dusk Apoc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

curse of the nike ad.

All players played poorly and you'd notice there is no dutch star (Sneijder/Robben), no argentinian star (Messi/Tevez/Aguero/Higuain), no german stars (Klose/Podolski/Schweinsteiger), no Uruguayans (Forlan/Suarez), the three spanish players (Iniesta/Fabregas/Pique) in it aren't shown playing football but just reacting in rooneys section and the lone brazilian is Ronaldinho who didn't even make the brazilian squad.

By section-
    Drogba (Ivory Coast) - out -group stage - 1 goal.
    Cannavaro (Italy) - out -group stage-finished bottom of group.
    Rooney (England) - out-2nd round-no goals. Walcott (England) didn't even get into world cup squad.
    Ribery (France) - out-group stage-no goals-finished bottom of group.
    Ronaldinho (Brazil) didn't make it into brazilian worldcup squad and look how well they're doing.
    Ronaldo (Portugal)- out-2nd round-1 goal and that was against N.Korea.
    "The world is made of words, and if you know the words that the world is made of, you can make of it whatever you wish."
    -Sinn

Blog Entries

Hmm, Robben played for like 20 minutes in the 3rd match and in those 20 minutes he made a huge difference and played a crucial part in the winning goal. In the match against Slovakia he played for about 60 minutes, and again made a positive difference, and also did score a goal. So, maybe he hasn't played enough to be in the list of stars, but so far he is the only one who actually lived up to his reputation.
    I'm only flesh and blood

Blog Entries

Well... All hell just broke lose. Still at work, although I can't say we did much for the last two hours, except shout a lot, and jump about a lot, and cheer a lot. There's a huge crowd on the street jumping and cheering. Cars and busses are honking.
    I have seen Holland play great at times. I've seen the Brazilians play great at times, but during the second half they were showing signs of.. well... They lost their typical Brazilian reign on the game, slowly but surely, and they knew it. It was quite un-Brazilian. But really, the chances we were given in the last 20 minutes, you cannot get that far into, no beyond, the Brazilian defenses and not finish the job. But ...

twas cool
    I'm only flesh and blood

Congrats. Near the end they missed some chances that made me think:"if the brazilians score now, they're so going to regret missing such an open goal.".

Great save by Stekelenburg btw. The difference, in the end, was in the performance of the goalies.
    "When I think I might die without seeing a hundredth of all there is to see it makes me feel," he paused, then added, "well, humble, I suppose."
    " And very angry, of course."

Well played Holland, knocking Brazil out is commendable. You guys are the favored for the cup, bravo.

And while Brazil it botch a couple opportunities, so did Holland. Near the end, you had three players vs the goalie and a simple pass was screwed up. Regardless, well done!

I think that Brazil deserved to go home - uninspired, ugly play, two goals conceded on restarts (one an own goal) and a sending off for violent conduct. Maybe in front of their home fans in 2014 they will remember how to play the beautiful game they are famous for. well done Holland
    May you have warm words on a cold evening,
    A full moon on a dark night,
    And the road downhill all the way to your door.

engaged to Waffles

Blog Entries

I think a few Dutch people died during the last 15 minutes. The chances they had were amazing. Not scoring even more amazing. It was in certain ways a very odd game. That corner that Robben took. He tipped the ball with his toes, the ball moved a few inches, and that was it. Everybody in the room had a huge blinking WTF sign hanging over their heads. That same WTF sign lit up again when three Dutchies were up against the Brazilian keeper. All of a sudden I guess, because for some unbelievable reason there wasn't another Brazilian around, and my worker buddies and I looked at each other and everybody had this "did I miss something " look on their face. And then the screw up after which everybody was in touch with reality again. It was bloody funny actually. Oh, I was most impressed by van Bommel, good and bad. Somewhere during the game he petted the referee in the neck, and later on commited some ugly fouls with no consequence whatsoever. The tv commentator suggested that van Bommel had become friends with the ref during that petting and could now go about as he pleased. The good thing was that he played very good.

And I left my orange cap at home, and was mocked at at work because I was wearing a blue shirt. I'll be looking for another job now. Hmm, actually, minutes before the game started I got a call from the UK, about a job offer...
    I'm only flesh and blood