Thread: Trayvon Martin and the color of racism

Mistress of Shadows High House Moon night faerie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Trayvon Martin and the color of racism

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ine-of-events/

Don't know if this issue has fully gone international.

I swear, nothing infuriates me more than people ignoring the obvious. Seriously? Still no arrest? Really? I can't take it it makes me so crazy.

"...just an idle doodle in the margins of our minds ..."
    ...nf

Default Re: Trayvon Martin and the color of racism

I will admit that when it comes to news stories about someone being murdered I try to avoid them like the plague. It just brings up way too much memories of the hurt, pain, confusion anger ,fear and all the other feelings from when my cousin Brian was murdered and the whole trying to find out who did it and bringing them to justice. That pain and effects of that never ever goes away, it's always lurking.

However due to facebook and people constantly posting links to this story I couldn't help but read it and my heart breaks for his family. I am outraged as well that there hasn't been an arrest. The family NEEDS that closer. They NEED to see the person responsible go to trial and hopefully be suitably punished..

Though let me tell you .. the punishment they get will never seem enough. If they get a sentience were there is possibility of parole someday. The family will years down the line have to reopen the scabs that are forming over the deep wound as they go and plead to the Parole board ( or sit down and write a letter to them rather than going in person) their reasons why this person shouldn't be allowed to be let free. I've watched my Aunt and Uncle have to go through that three times. It is heartbreaking all over again.

I pray that they are able to bring the person responsible to justice so that the family can have the needed closer and hopefully start to heal.
    Everything that is or was began with a dream- Lavagirl

Does this Font make my butt look big?

Blog Entries

See, I don't believe that justice brings closure for most people. I think you'll agree true closure just isn't possible in a case like this (or yours). Total healing doesn't ever happen, there are always jagged nasty scars. At best, any prosecution might result in some feelings of vengeance. I can't even say I believe in the justice system. But not arresting the shooter in this case is more than a slap in the face to everyone involved, to the public even. Not to mention the fact that he's still out there, available for killing someone else's child.

I mean the guy wasn't supposed to be carrying a weapon, was told by emergency operators on the phone NOT to follow the kid, and was only a "self appointed" neighborhood watchman, not recognized, nor following the official rules of, any actual neighborhood watch group. Even IF he could prove self defense (which in this case is a whole load of crap, obviously) surely he should have been arrested for SOMETHING.

I mean what the hell is a self appointed neighborhood watchman anyway? It's like me carrying a gun and a fake badge and calling myself a self appointed policeman. WTF???

...nf

I found Geroldo Rivera's comments on the this to be downright sicking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTMyb15bfAE

Really Geraldo .. It's he was shot because he was wearing a hoodie?!?!?! and that no people of ethnicity should be allowed to allow their kids/teens to wear hoodies because it makes this kind of stuff happen. Disgusting!!!!
    Everything that is or was began with a dream- Lavagirl

Does this Font make my butt look big?

Blog Entries

when in doubt, blame the victim. Well, only if the victim is a woman (prostitute/slut) or not lily-white (gangster hoodlum/illegal immigrant).
    Your sense of self is defined by what you think other people think of you.

I'm a militant Agnostic: I don't know and neither do you!

King Sloth High House Chaos sir archely's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Firstly, I'll say i mostly agree with you, and the whole situation is horrible.

However, it always makes me a bit squeamish when someone is being convicted in the media like this. Definitely a big part of me is kind of like... well, but... I really have no idea what actually happened. I definitely prefer a system in which the default presumption is innocence, rather than the converse, and part of the price of that system is that some guilty people go unpunished.
    I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries

see, that's very optimistic of you arch. I would have agreed with you a few years ago. Now I think I prefer a system that seeks out ACTUAL truth (which we don't have now), rather than presumption of anything, or a ratio of 'you have to prove this person guilty (or disprove guilt) by THIS margin', which is more what we have now.

...nf

major major major major dark fuschia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is in the news over here, and it appears pretty bizarre from the Australian perspective. Just the fact he had a gun in public would already have him in alot of trouble. We have our own forms of injustice of course and equally nasty sides to our culture, so don't think I am saying we are better here. It just seems to me that the response to this case highlights that racism is still going strong in America a thousand times more than the actions of a lone idiot roving the streets with a gun. The types of excuses made publicly for this guy is shocking (I read a review somewhere a week or so ago) and I don't mean your type of excuses arch, which are really the only acceptable kind of excuses that should be made.