Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

King Sloth High House Chaos sir archely's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Doctor Who

Because it's not enough to gush over the doctor in the TV thread. It really needs its own thread.

I'm watching again, and just in the middle of season 4, which is awesome.
    I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries

Default Re: Doctor Who

Oh season 4. Oh Donna! Poor, poor Donna. After much thought and debate, I've decided that Donna is my favorite companion, even though I liked the arc that Rose had better. And that Poor Martha got the shaft.

Amy Pond - meh. She got better once Rory was along for the ride, and I think that Clara has been on a steady downward spiral in terms of likeability and interestingness. I was so disappointed when I read that she'll be back for the next season. I keep hoping it's some kind of sick tease, where they say she'll be back, but really it's just for a few episodes.

I could probably write at length about the merits of the Russel T. Davies era vs. the Steven Moffat era, but I've had a few drinks and I have people over. To summarize: Davies = heart, Moffat = sensationalism. heart > sensationalism.
    Your sense of self is defined by what you think other people think of you.

I'm a militant Agnostic: I don't know and neither do you!

Blog Entries

I agree with basically everything you wrote. Even down to Donna being my favorite companion. Though, I was always quite fond of Sally Sparrow and sort of wished she'd had a go at being a companion for a while.
    Last edited by sir archely; January 25th, 2015 at 11:02.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

major major major major dark fuschia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

oooh I'd really like to watch these shows, arch, where do we start???

Blog Entries

I would say start with the ninth doctor. It's the beginning of the modern series, and even though I personally don't think it really starts getting good until after that, there is stuff from there that you don't want to miss.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Peeks in on thread; Considers the "I've only seen the first two episodes of the Capaldi season" factor (so far, he ruleth); thinks: "GHA...SPOILERS!"; hastily ducks out and shuts the door; runs away, covering ears, shouting: "All Hail Tom Baker!"~
    rise

Blog Entries

I love David Tennant, but every time I watch his seasons I come to the inescapable conclusion that he is possibly the worst runner ever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries

It makes sense. He's all spindly and about 4" around. I look at him in his suit, and realize that the suit is like, 3 layers thick, and not skin-tight. He's essentially a string-bean. I'm not even sure he's actually human.

I had a mini-marathon with my sister-in-law this weekend, who is a new convert. It was glorious. We got to Partners in Crime, and it was so much fun watching her enjoy the way that Martha left, and her joy at Donna's return. Because that scene where they are talking to each other through the windows is probably one of my favourite ever, and watching it with someone who's watching it for the first time is awesome!

Blog Entries

Nice! I've been trying to get my wife to watch the new ones for a while now. She watched the old ones as a kid but isn't a huge fan of sci-fi stuff now, so she's resistant. As a kid her imaginary friend was the fourth doctor.

I just finished season four and am moving on to Matt Smith territory. Good ol' shovel face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries

I have profound disappointment with the Matt Smith era. Maybe it's Moffat's continual use of the un-do button. Maybe it's the Amy Pond is more quirk than character, that she's only made tolerable by the addition of the excellent Rory. Maybe it's just that I don't get why so many people are so willing to call Matt Smith "attractive". And maybe it's just that rather than the subtle hints of the Davies era (bad wolf showing up everywhere, Vote Saxon, etc.) you get hammered over the head with "There's a fucking crack in the universe. It's a Really Big Deal. Did you notice the Crack? Here, let's show you again, just in case you weren't about to wonder What It's All About."

Blog Entries

Again I think we are on the same page Anita. Matt Smith really is a weird looking guy. However, the Matt Smith era also contains some of my very favorite moments. Vincent and the Doctor, The Doctor's Wife (admittedly not exactly Moffat), and, of course, Rory. Specifically, the boy who waited.

Also, I've found this recently, and am very tempted to make my own. I have all of the tools, and probably most of the raw wood. It would just be a matter of what the hell to do with the thing once it was built.
    Last edited by sir archely; February 3rd, 2015 at 19:34.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries

Well, the Doctor's Wife is a clear exception to the era, because Gaiman. Have I mentioned how much I heart Gaiman, and how in fact, he's even the reason I started watching Doctor Who in the first place? Because that's a true story. Though I wasn't as fond of Nightmare in Silver.

I'd actually really like to hear someone who loves the 11th Doctor the most explain in detail why, because I don't get it, and I like to understand things. Also, I think that maybe, if someone explained their love well enough, my understanding would grow to include that love. There are lots of things that I never gave a chance until someone else's love for it drew my attention.

I think I'd be more in line to try to build an awesome TARDIS cake (scroll to the bottom for one that's bigger on the inside!)

Now that I'm all caught up...time to pull up a chair. Tom Baker is still my favorite. I suspect that Peter Capaldi Might be my second; otherwise, it's David Tennant. Donna is probably the best Companion, although most think it's Sarah Jane. The Season/Series 8 Clara angered me at first but was less annoying by the "Dark Water".
    I liked Matt Smith by the END of season One. The Pandorica Opens & The Big Bang. The Daft Old Man/Amy's imaginary friend. He did a good job being an old man in a youngin's body. Vincent and The Doctor and The Doctor's Wife were two of the best episodes. He also does very well with the speeches: The Big Bang, the Day of the Moon and Time of The Doctor.
    The dynamic between him and River was fun to watch also.
    Yes, there was too much with the freakin' crack, and Yep, Moffat's a Huge Fanboy that was given the controls and gets silly. To the point where you have to remind yourself that this is the same guy that wrote the Library episodes and Blink. So while I can't fully explain the extreem love for Mr. Smith, those are some good points.
    Why Tennant was my second favorite will get no explanation now because...well, duh; he was Awsome. I'm still kinda' mad that he left.
    I'll admit that even tough, After silly NONSENSE turn Moffat made with Clara--The Imposible Girl--in Deep Breath and Into The Dalek, I was looking forward to her exit, I was kinda' glad at the surprise (I avoided all other Doctor Who articles that did not have to do with the lost episodes) of her not leaving yet. She can Totally leave in Series 9, though.
    "Listen" may be my fav. series 8 episode. Hopefully, Moffat won't screw up a perfectly good doctor with some silly nonsense.
    Last edited by JEDIWAN; February 6th, 2015 at 22:14. Reason: Misspelled Baker and change punctuation.
    rise

Blog Entries

The only thing I've read is that Clara is coming back for season 9, which I find really disappointing. There was a nice, clear out for her there, she was done, he was done with her, but no, of course she's coming back. why would I ever thing otherwise. Moffat's signature move is the fake out. Whatever you beliebe might have happened will have un-happened in an hour, it's pretty much the only thing guaranteed in life.

You should hear my boyfriend bitch about season 3 of Sherlock. (By the time we hit season 3 of Sherlock, he had watched all of Doctor Who and was able to see that Moffat has a style {the Doctor is Sherlock. They're the same character. For reals.}, and while it works sometimes, he can go too far. If you haven't watched season 3 of Sherlock, I won't spoil it other than to say if you've watched the 11th Doctor, you should be familiar with things that you thought happened suddenly being undone in the most vacuous way possible.

My theory is that Moffat is brilliant - but he needs restraint. He needs someone telling him there's a bigger picture to be aware of, that what he's doing is only a small part of something larger. When he's given total control, he doesn't know what to do - he tries to do everything, and when that doesn't work out, he tries to undo everything and redo it. You have to admire the man's sense of scope, but at the same time, when he loses control, he really loses control. I to this day, after having watched it all twice and read stuff online, have no idea if Rory is alive, dead, undead, a plastic 2000 year old soldier with the memories of Rory, a real Rory with the memories of a 2000 year olf plastic soldier with the memories of Rory, or simply from a different timeline. I honestly don't know. Why did River suddenly declare it her final meeting with the Doctor? Who the fuck knows. I'm guessing because it was getting harder to pretend she was getting younger? Why did the Doctor ever even like Amy Pond, let alone think she was the greatest human ever? No idea. How did Clara escape the Doctor's timeline? No clue.

What irks me the most is Moffat's steadfast insistence in undoing everything that Russell T. Davies did. Everyone knows the Doctor protects Earth? Nah, the Doctor erased his name from history! Aliens landed in London? Never heard of it! Gallifrey destroyed utterly in the Time War? Nope! Did Donne even ever exist anymore? I'm not even sure, which is pretty much a double tragedy, since Donna ... oh, poor Donna. Poor, poor poor Donna.

Nothing, nothing, NOTHING that Moffat does (and subsequently undoes) will ever equal the feels of Donna. Donna gets ALL THE FEELS!

Rule #1: Moffat Lies.
    I'm on lunch break, so I'll continue later.
    ~turns around, looks in the mirror (yes, there's one in here), gives self's reflection a self-approving nod, continues the post.~
    rise