Thread: Audiobooks?

Blog Entries

Default Audiobooks?

I've been listening to audiobooks on Scribd recently, because I'e been finding it's a good way to keep me focused at work - my job is mostly looking at things and changing the way images look and feel, so I don't listen to the shows, and I'm not reading words for the most part. It's a good way to pass the time. I've been revolving through some classic favorites (neil gaiman, the chronicles of narnia) and some YA (insurgent, red queen). But I'm finding that they are frequently hit and miss. I had to turn off Hunger Games because the narrator sounded like a senior citizen and it was bugging the hell out of me. And sometimes, the way they prounounce words drives me bonkers and i have to turn it off and never listen to it again, because it's not FO-YER, it's FOY-AY!!!

Does anyone have any audiobook suggestions or favorites?
    Your sense of self is defined by what you think other people think of you.

I'm a militant Agnostic: I don't know and neither do you!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Audiobooks?

I would reply but I haven't found anyone yet who can read your message to me in a Canadian accent
    All that I need is
    A sweet escape

Blog Entries

!!! that's tragic. Though my accent is pretty similar to most hollywood movie people. On account of being from the west and not having that ridiculous eastern "canadian" accent. I think. For the most part. Although recently I have begun hearing the difference between my accent and the accent of people from Washington state. I chalk it up to the way that Americans spell things incorrectly. Colour! Honour! Use those "u"s, people!

Quick! To the Volcano! High House Moon Eyreplenh's Avatar
    Here, there, there's pieces of me everywhere
    Blog Entries

Not really a useful hint, but I've listened to a few audio books (in norwegian, don't know how interested you are in that? Although, sme people think we sound like we sing when we speak ) and almost without exception the ones where the author reads him/herself has been better. So that might be omething. I can imagine, though, that the more action/emotion is involved, an actor should do a better job...
    High Marshal of Decadence

And all I loved, I loved alone

Blog Entries

Neil Gaiman is just brilliant at reading his own books, and so i kind of measure all audio books against his. But I'm listening to the Chronicles of Narnia at present, which is being read by a host of esteemed British actors - Kenneth Branagh, Lynn Redgrave, Derek Jacobi, Michael York, Patrick Freaking Stewart. I have to say... i can't complain about any of the reading on those ones, though listening to them at this stage of life is really making me question WTF. Christian allegory aside... there's some weird stuff. There's some really great stuff, and then it's frequently followed by questionable things, specifically from a feminist perspective. You get these great female characters like Arawis in the Horse & His Boy, someone who's rebelling against the status quo, who wants to live her own life by her own rules, who is then quietly tucked away in a scene where she and Lucy go off to discuss her new wardrobe, as women will do.

And don't get me started on ham-eating beavers. No. Just. No. Go home, CS Lewis, you're drunk. BEAVER'S DON'T EAT HAM, I DON'T CARE IF THEY'RE TALKING BEAVERS IT'S WRONG!

major major major major dark fuschia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Anything by David Sedaris! He reads his own stuff too. It's glorious super gold listening!

Also I recommend delving into non fiction this way. You can pick up some interesting knowledge and somehow it's more palatable than reading it.

Quick! To the Volcano! High House Moon Eyreplenh's Avatar
    Here, there, there's pieces of me everywhere
    Blog Entries

Ah, yes, nonfiction is great in to get in the ears. Actually a few decent podcasts out there I learn stuff from on a weekly basis (although I am partial to the nerdist when there's good people on)
    High Marshal of Decadence

And all I loved, I loved alone

King Sloth High House Chaos sir archely's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I will second the anything by David Sedaris. A while back we bought a collection of all of his works on CD and we listen to it from time to time. I personally think his newer books aren't as strong, but I haven't heard those on audio either.

Honestly, I have trouble getting in to audiobooks because I read so much faster than I can listen. I always feel like it's taking so long to get anywhere. Nonfiction is a good suggestion I may have to try out. I generally listen to podcasts on my commute. Sometimes I mix in an audiobook, but then I feel like I get behind on the podcasts. I may mix in more over the summer when I am often doing things outside or wherever that use my hands and eyes but not my ears.

Also, while scribd is pretty cool, I would highly recommend people investigating their library system for stuff like this. For example, here in New York state, as a resident of the state I can get a library card for the amazing NY City public library system. This card allows me to access all of the audiobooks in their collection, which is prodigious. Even my (much smaller) local library system has a pretty decent selection of titles for download. And it's all free. Investigate your library options. I can almost guarantee there's a librarian somewhere near you who would be super excited to talk to you about it.
    I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries

This might be heresy, but I sort of don't like libraries. Primarily because I don't want to have to give the books back. I want them forever! I don't read books from Scribd because I'd have to read them on my phone or computer, and I don't like doing that. if I could send them to my Kobo (e-ink reader), that would be alright, but I hate reading things on bright screens.

I also used to dislike audiobooks for the same reason - too slow, I can read faster, plus, my in-head voices are way better than what the narrators usually have. But with they way I'm isolated all day at work, I'm finding them a good way to prevent myself from jumping into a browser window and reading the news instead of working.

Perhaps I shall have to try some non-fiction. I normally don't read it, but perhaps having it in the background while I'm working would be beneficial.

I can also second anything by Sedaris.

If you want to try non fiction, try out hardcore history by Dan Carlin, I think the WWI episodes are still available for free and they're great. As with most audiobooks a lot depends on whether you like the way it's narrated, of course.
    "When I think I might die without seeing a hundredth of all there is to see it makes me feel," he paused, then added, "well, humble, I suppose."
    " And very angry, of course."