Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Quilly Quarantine in Coronasville: Life in Interesting Times

Blog Entries

Default Re: Quilly Quarantine in Coronasville: Life in Interesting Times

Yes, I can run in the street. There's a small park nearby. I do one or two rounds around the pond and back again. There's not many people there usually, apart from other runners, but we can keep sufficient distance. But I can't get myself off my ass anymore, that's the problem. First had issues with my knee. Used to go to the gym three times a week also. Now I've grown lazy
    I'm only flesh and blood
    But I can be anything that you demand

We should have a quill gym session.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams

Pictures!
    Blog!

Blog Entries

Pfft... you're just trying to get a glimpse of me in my gym pants!

Well... as soon as I've lost enough weight and manage to pull them over my ass again, you might
    I'm only flesh and blood

ugh not a good picture in my mind mike!!!
    woot!!!!!!!!11

Blog Entries

Sorry for your mind then
    I'm only flesh and blood

Blog Entries

OK. So, I've been making my own sourdough bread for like, 3 years now, and I've gotten pretty good at it. Now everyone's doing it and it makes me feel like a bandwagon-hopper, even though I've was a bandwagon hopper long before anyone else! Ditto home-cooking and baking. Like, I do that stuff all the time, and now everyone does and there are no ingredients in the baking aisle.

Well, nuts to those folks. The store imposed a butter limit of 1 per person, but guys.... guys... GUYS

I can make my own butter. There's no limit on whipped cream, and with 1 litre of whipped cream you can make: about 3/4 pound of butter (which can then be clarified to something like 1/2 pound of ghee) and a couple of cups of buttermilk, which can then be used with your sourdough starter to make some pretty fantastic waffles.

Take that, upstarts! The kitchen goddess strikes again! Hmmm, can I start calling myself the Bitchin' Kitchen Goddess?
    Your sense of self is defined by what you think other people think of you.

I'm a militant Agnostic: I don't know and neither do you!

Blog Entries

Well.... we all know you are omniscient, so the kitchen bit is somewhat redundant. The Bitchin' Goddess sounds quite divine, My Deity.
    I'm only flesh and blood

major major major major dark fuschia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh yes I am impressed by the kitchen goddess! �� Once again if you need somewhere to live Anita...

Mistress of Shadows High House Moon night faerie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Day 59: I'm having random bouts of depression. I'm okay then all of a sudden, bam, I'm devastatingly sad. I feel like I'm failing my kids, who spend mind numbing quantities of time in front of screens. I don't want to take them off the screens because then the noise begins, the play fights, the forced maniacal laughter, the snarky comments and arguments. Oh! And the cursing! My kids curse now. I have no clue how we're going to unlearn these habits.

School at home has been unbearable. I ignored it for the first three weeks before my district got going online (the paper packets sent home? F them) I tried to get them to do three of their 6-7 assignments done daily for the next 4 weeks. The Girl is supposed to get assistance for focusing, prioritizing and organizing since she was diagnosed ADHD and struggles with those skills. In school she had a weekly session with her social worker. Now she has nothing. No support, to guidance, no strategies. No one calls to check on them. The Boy was seeing the school psychologist in school to help with acclimating to the separation, he hasn't gotten a phone call either. I emailed the social worker, psychologist, principal, District Director of Pupil Personnel and the Superintendent. I spoke with the Superintendent on the phone. Still, no one has reached out to my kids.

Last week I told my kids just to do math and I gave them my own assignment. The Girl did a power point presentation on The Spanish Flu (Which originated in Kansas!) and The Boy did a research paper on The Bubonic Plague. I had plans this week to move on to how different countries handle the Coronavirus but honestly? Who cares? The school has said nothing about grading. I'm thinking they just have to show up each day. So today I just told them to do math. Just keep up with the math. Submit it each day so they don't fall behind. It's not worth the stress, the arguments, the tears, the frustration. It's not worth it.

Now they are saying live video classes will begin next week. I can't. Ten? Week Ten and they're just NOW starting video classes? My kids will be bouncing off the walls, I can't even imagine trying to get them to sit and listen to an instructor right now. They're beyond punchy. They're manic. It really upsets me because I keep thinking they're going to end school early but if they're starting something new... Our school year is supposed to go till June 29th. The thought of going through this till July is.... unfathomable. I just can't.

On the up side of things, I've started the kids watching Battlestar Galactica and today we started Farscape. We're about to finish Troll Hunters. I have a literal hat filled with tiny bits of paper with movie titles. (We were spending hours not agreeing on what to watch) I've got Wargames and The Replacements and A League of Our Own and Big and Goonies and a ton of others.

The hardest part is not knowing when it's going to end. Summer is coming... I don't have A/C and if the beaches and pools and playgrounds and the campgrounds are closed... I may just risk the jump and head to California to lock down with my mom. At least then we'll have central A/C, a pool and a small backyard. And a much bigger TV. Plus she hasn't seen them for two years. I hate not being able to plan....

"...just an idle doodle in the margins of our minds ..."
    ...nf

Blog Entries

~hugs for NF~

It's OK to feel all of this! You're not a bad parent, you're not failing your kids, and you're not alone in feeling bouts of depression. A lot of people I've talked to have said really similar things.

Just remember: it sucks. It's OK that it sucks, and it's OK that you're not OK.

Have you ever tried scream therapy? Like, basically just screaming as loud as you can. Just lettin' 'er rip, so to speak. Violent, full-body, no-holds-barred scream. You can scream into a pillow if you're worried about people calling the cops. It sounds dumb, but it really releases some of the stress in the body. It doesn't solve anything, but it sure does make you feel better (especially if you manage to avoid actually, you know, yelling at the ones you love). Also, a fun thing for the whole family, is to have a laughing contest. Like you know when you have uncontrollable fits of laughter, and you don't even know why you're laughing, but somehow that makes it even funnier. Laughing so hard that your stomach feels like you were at the gym the next day. It can be weirdly contagious, so you if frame it as a contest, and then one of you starts laughing, and everyone else starts laughing, and then no one can stop laughing. Again, doesn't solve any real problems, but it sure does feel good.

~hugs~ We're all gonna make it through this.

Blog Entries

NF you're doing an amazing job! *hugs*

If I were you, maybe I would forget about schooling, its such a long time away from faceto face schooling, maybe I would accept that one or both may need to repeat. They won't be the only ones.

That would also free up your time to make.... tiktok videos! Its a great way to be creative in lockdown. It seems joyous and nice and fun to me. I see alot of videos where parents are being creative with their kids. And there is no better learning experience than learning to be creative.

Well I only suggest it because I would never do it with mine (I'm too tired...)

But I think you and your kids are so creative you would make greta videos.

Blog Entries

shmerp. Wedding postponed by a year. Good grief, now I have to be that person who can't stop talking about their upcoming wedding for yet another year. Fortunately, we can still do everything we wanted, just a year later, probably with more expensive flights (y..ay?) We've got our fingers crossed that all of our guests can have the villas they booked. Le sigh.

Blog Entries

Aww... That soubds really annoying. It will be a great day I hope giv en the extras build up

Blog Entries

lol, the funny thing is we invited people over a year ago... so there was already quite a lot of build-up. Fortunately, only one person has to switch to a different (yet also very lovely) villa, so we win! Kinda sucks, but everyone is pretty supportive. We don't want anyone to die, and also, some people have lost jobs and stuff, and expecting them to just travel to another country to party in the middle of a pandemic seems kinda... a dick move? We're pretty lucky, our photographer can still accommodate the new date, and our wedding planner is super supportive. The only vendor we don't know about yet is the makeup artist, and as long as she will give me back my deposit if she can't do the job, I'm not too shook up about that. I'd hate to have to be postponing a couple weeks before, having all the time in the world to realize that yep, things are still not going to be right in October is a bit of a blessing.

Luckily, we've been together for 15 years now and aren't too invested in the idea of being "married", since by law in our region, we already technically are. (live together for 12 months and you have all the rights and responsibilities of a married couple). We just want a big celebration, and we want it on halloween, dammit, so waiting another year isn't the worst thing in the world.

Blog Entries

Weddings are bizarre. My husband really wanted a proper big wedding none of which fits with his or my personality. Eventually I realised it was all to keep his grandma happy.