Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ecological Footprint

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ecological Footprint

Quote Originally Posted by AquaFizz View Post
    Anita, what don't you like about the lighting with the new LED lights?
    well, mostly, i went out of my way to find "warm white" LED lights, which are actually a very cool tone of warm, and they give off about half the amount of light as my previous incandescent christmas lights, which gave our living room a really nice, candle-lit ambient glow. Now, it's a very dim, moon-lit kind of light. It's nice, i just prefferred the candle-y nature. I might add a couple more strands of LEDs to up the quantity of light, after i get a job. (which, by all accounts, might even be today!)
    Your sense of self is defined by what you think other people think of you.

I'm a militant Agnostic: I don't know and neither do you!

major major major major dark fuschia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I tend to agree with Buck, that this quiz is a farce in terms of even slightly providing a degree of accuracy. Basically something like this is trying to make people take personal responsibility and we KNOW that it doesn't work because we do not decide many of the factors that are damaging the planet. It's government and industry who has to take responsibility. We can ask all the questions we want about where our electricity comes from, but that doesn't change the fact we can't change to a greener provider, because the alternatives simply don't exist yet to an acceptable degree. I think the reason this site stinks is because people need to be offered the choice before they can make the choice.

Of course we all bear a level of personal responsibility for the state of the planet but feeling guilty about it and being aware of it doesn't help while people are still going to be getting rich off destroying it (and lets face it, none of us here have shares in an oil company do we? None of us here own farms that grow rice in dry and drought constricted areas? none of us here are logging old growth forrest to make toothpicks are we? to name a few things...).

Government policies through-out the western world (to differing degrees) is designed to support the misuse of resources for the ultimate economic gain. Once policy and profit start to include environmental ethics in their margins THEN we'll start solving things. THAT is what needs to be changed.

So basically I am saying something like .... Its the man getting the planet down!! Lets get em!!

If we take all the responsibility on ourselves, then we are more likely to effect a change, because that responsibility then becomes our priority. So I think changing our personal policies is just as important as changing governmental ones, if not more so.

It's not like people have been quick to embrace or even look for alternative fuels and such, because many people are irresponsible, ignorant and lazy. That is not entirely the fault of government or marketplace policy. Their policies may have been designed to some degree to exploit that fact, but that means that changing their policies is only at best a half-solution, at worst a temporary one.

As far as the site goes, why beat on the site? It's only offering ideas and encouragement. No one is saying this site is in perfect, but the general message, that we are consuming more than is healthy for the future of the planet, is in agreement with the relevant data. I don't think we can have too many wake-up calls.
    Last edited by Amos; November 30th, 2006 at 19:09.

King Sloth High House Chaos sir archely's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dark fuschia View Post
    I tend to agree with Buck, that this quiz is a farce in terms of even slightly providing a degree of accuracy.
    Until someone, anyone, steps up to provide some sort of reasonable doubt beyond 'it doesn't feel right' i'm going to tend to side with the people who actually have the figures.

Basically something like this is trying to make people take personal responsibility and we KNOW that it doesn't work because we do not decide many of the factors that are damaging the planet. It's government and industry who has to take responsibility. We can ask all the questions we want about where our electricity comes from, but that doesn't change the fact we can't change to a greener provider, because the alternatives simply don't exist yet to an acceptable degree. I think the reason this site stinks is because people need to be offered the choice before they can make the choice.
    i think the entire point of the site is to show that there are ways you can reduce your own footprint. ie, adjust your diet, travel habits, living situation... all of these things have an impact on your footprint. there are plenty of choices there. the idea that we shouldn't do anything because there's no opportunity for a huge profound shift is like saying we shouldn't stop any murderers because we can't stop them all.

Of course we all bear a level of personal responsibility for the state of the planet but feeling guilty about it and being aware of it doesn't help while people are still going to be getting rich off destroying it (and lets face it, none of us here have shares in an oil company do we? None of us here own farms that grow rice in dry and drought constricted areas? none of us here are logging old growth forrest to make toothpicks are we? to name a few things...).
    none of us have shares in an oil company, or own farms practicing unsustainable agriculture, or log old growth forest... BUT not being informed and aware about what we consume and how makes us that much more likely to be an active participant in consuming the products that are directly resulting from those poor environmental practices. i may not own shares, but i definitely could be improving my transportation habits so as to not give so much profit to those companies. and i own a small, fuel efficient car.

Government policies through-out the western world (to differing degrees) is designed to support the misuse of resources for the ultimate economic gain. Once policy and profit start to include environmental ethics in their margins THEN we'll start solving things. THAT is what needs to be changed.

So basically I am saying something like .... Its the man getting the planet down!! Lets get em!!
    again, we are part of that. and like james said, your own practices are a good place to start. how can you rail against the man and be resistant to a little change in your own life?

i mean, i 100% agree that capitalism is not a sustainable form of economy, and it basically exists on waste. that is excessive waste is good for our economy, and yes, that definitely needs to change. but that and each of us reducing our own individual wastes are not mutually exclusive, nor are they unrelated.
    I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

High Roller High House Moon Dregs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sir archely;

i mean, i 100% agree that capitalism is not a sustainable form of economy, and it basically exists on waste. that is excessive waste is good for our economy, and yes, that definitely needs to change. but that and each of us reducing our own individual wastes are not mutually exclusive, nor are they unrelated.
    Thing about capitalism and democracy is, if enough people demand it, then it will happen. Market forces and all that. The argument "but what can I do?" doesn't wash because we need to be part of the "enough people".

Can we, an internet community start to make a difference? Don't know. But fuck me, I'm willing to give it a try. There's got to be a starting point somewhere, why not here? I'm going to set myself the challenge of halving my footprint by next year.
    (I told you it was a mistake to let me have a signature.)

Food 6.9
    Mobility 0.2
    Shelter 1.2
    Goods... 1.2

TOTAL 9
    with 2.2 planets needed for me

I've been thinkning a lot about how bad of an example I've been setting for my child. I stopped recycling years ago. I think I stopped because my laundry basket broke and I started using the bin as a dirty clothes hamper. I drive everywhere, I throw out at least one bag of trash every day, and I shower or bathe twice a day every day. I doubt the accuracy of this calculator too, but if it makes people think for a moment, then it's a good thing. I am going to at least start recycling again and go from there. I'm not giving up my hot baths though.
    Is tu fuil ‘o mo chuislean, is tu cnaimh de mo chnaimh.
    Is leatsa mo bhodhaig, chum gum bi sinn ‘n ar n-aon.
    Is leatsa m’anam gus an criochnaich ar saoghal.

3.1 planets, 14 acres . . . I like meat and dairy products.

Quick! To the Volcano! High House Moon Eyreplenh's Avatar
    Here, there, there's pieces of me everywhere
    Blog Entries

Time to buckle up for the new year. Let us all deal a bit less damage to the planet than we did last year, be a bit nicer and all that. At least I'll try to do my bit. And as far as I'm concerned, that's really what it's all about. There are some things I "do good" when it comes to being nice to the environment, but sadly there's great room for improvement. My three biggest baddies are:

1 Flying. I fly around quite a bit, first and foremost because it's cheap. Flying is too cheap. I don't have the exact number, but a plane pollutes as much as about 50'000 cars or something a little less exaggerated. I'm afraid I'll probably still use this method of transportation for my abroad trips, but I will try to go by train when travelling around sillyland. It is triple the time moving from here to there, but all in all this is a small sacrifice. Most of the time I don't have to hurry anyway. Big yay to the european who are reputedly going to increasy

2 Warm water. I love my warm showers. I really do. But have decided to shorten them. Again, really a small sacrifice, but if enough people were to do so...who knows where we'll end up, eh?

3 Garbage disposal. I'm going to start recycling. I haven't done it before, because...er...I'm lazy. That just won't do. Recycling too is real easy, so there isn't any good reason not to do it.

I started workin with these major flaws of mine in the middle of desember, and so far I've done quite good. The challenge for me though, is not to lose focus and slip out of it, so I'm hoping putting them down here will help staying on track. If anyone else has something they are good or bad at, please put it down. Maybe you've got a point, small or bad, that will work as a reminder for the rest of us. If you do real good you'll give a lot of people guilty consciences. And that is a victory in any case.

It's time for a change people. Make Environment your fight. (hehehee. but seriously, this is important.)
    High Marshal of Decadence

And all I loved, I loved alone

High Roller High House Moon Dregs's Avatar

CATEGORYGLOBAL HECTARES
    FOOD3.1
    MOBILITY2.4
    SHELTER1.2
    GOODS/SERVICES2.8
    TOTAL FOOTPRINT9.5
    IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN
    YOUR COUNTRY IS 7.6 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 5.3 PLANETS.

Still not too good, eh?
    Last edited by sir archely; January 1st, 2008 at 19:44.
    (I told you it was a mistake to let me have a signature.)

Blog Entries

Here we are again. Another year another dollar. What have I been up to in 2007 is scant little, but I do believe I've managed to improve a bit. I've been paying more attention to my electric shit, swiching things off in stead of standby etc, I've been really good with my showers, they're not half of what they used to be. Plus, for six weeks in central america I had about three hot showers Also I have been keeping a lookout for locally grown green stuff, but I have to admit that hasn't got so much to do with the environment, it just tastes so much better! Still don't drive much, don't eat much meat...

My really bad sheep is flying. If anything I've been flying more the last year, even if I have been using the trains for my domestic travelling.

This year I'll try to continue to improve, especially household planning is something I'll try to pu a little effort into. I throw away a lot of food, simply because I plan like a rabbit on mescaline. I really can't see me flying any less this year, even though I probably wont have to do it in my work, because I like travelling so much.

I'm not quite sure about this whole global warming thing anymore, I get constant input from both sides but don't know enough to debate it properly. I will say that I believe it though, and ashamed to do so. What is an undeniable fact though, is that there is a crazy waste going on in the western world. Myself I got more than I need of just about anything! And I'm nowhere close to the worst.

Try to improve, people!
    Cheers!

Rebellious Witch Whore!! High House Dawn Amelia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    ooooh Im so bad!

I need 4.1 planets.
    I decided to retake the quiz just to see how or if I changed.

CATEGORY ACRES

FOOD 5.4

MOBILITY 0.5

SHELTER 3.7

GOODS/SERVICES 3.7

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 13
    IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON.
    WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE ACRES PER PERSON
    IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 3 PLANETS.

So I guess I have. I think its because Im using my car less now.
    Bonded to Sweet Bucky, Hyper SotSy, and Dashing Mike
    Smartmouth Goddess!
    I want to be Wonder Woman

CATEGORY ACRES
    FOOD 1.7
    MOBILITY 0.2
    SHELTER 3
    GOODS/SERVICES 2.2
    TOTAL FOOTPRINT 7

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY
    IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.6 PLANETS.

obviously this is a good thing if only b/c it makes one think about their impact on our world. it is really lacking in some categories that i think make a HUGE difference.

1. buying products: do you buy mostly new products? used? from locally owned/produced stores and products? or from the cheap (slave laboured) box store?

also, do you work for a store like this? do you perpetuate the status quo in a neg way? etc etc. don't even get me started....

but...
    one of the most important things i think that an individual can do is to vote with their money. (since, especially here in the usa, voting for our national leaders has become a joke).

think about it: if everyone used their money to support people, stores, products, ideas, etc that they beleived in, we could make serious change worldwide. money (like it or not) makes the world. spend your money only on what you support (and i mean spending money for goods and services, not donating) and you will be dramatically impacting what you agree with in a positive way as well as what you disagree with in a neg way. think about if everyone did this. it could totally change the world. all it takes is commitment to your ideals.

i think, in reality, my footprint (though not as small as i'd like it to be) is less than this quiz seems to think. i'm vegan/raw foodist, i get my food only (95% anyways) from the local farmers market or grow it myself - and always organic, and most things i own were either homemade (from recycled materials) or purchased from a locally owned charity thrift store or salvaged from other peoples' garbage (both garage sale and literally). i recycle everything i can (even carrying a package with me while i'm out to recycle later rather than throwing it away). i buy bulk on nearly everything, bring reusable bags with me everywhere (or refuse a bag when i don't have one), and bring a reusable mug for when i get a drink anywhere. i have central heating/cooling (b/c i live in an apartment) but i do not use them except in drastic circumstance (maybe a few days a year). most of my entertainment is outdoors; hiking, camping, digital photography, etc. when i do use appliances i always unplug them when not in use (especially cellular chargers!)

i try not to be preachy about stuff. though it is very important to me. so i only put it here since it applies to the thread and i hope that from reading it you see something that you could easily change in your life for the better. many of these things don't take that much extra time and soon become second nature. and think about the impact you can make. even the way i live we would (by this quiz) need more than one earth. and that's just it: we've only got one. please make it last.
    Last edited by Arianna; January 2nd, 2008 at 13:35.
    May you have warm words on a cold evening,
    A full moon on a dark night,
    And the road downhill all the way to your door.

engaged to Waffles

CATEGORY ACRES

FOOD 4.9

MOBILITY 3

SHELTER 6.9

GOODS/SERVICES 6.7

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 22

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 4.8 PLANETS.

Let me jump on this one and agree with those of you who have found it's obvious flaws (such as a constant for air travel regardless of the size or occupancy of the plane), but let me also agree that change begins with each individual. There are lots of things that we can do to reduce our footprint. And many of them should be considered. But I, like many of you, enjoy a certain quality of life which includes taking warm showers. And I enjoy it that YOU take warm showers too. I have been places and with people for whom that is not as important and it certainly affects MY quality of life negatively.
    I think that there are things that we can do to make a difference, such as to ensure that recycling actually happens in our community. Too many times have I heard that if the recycling bins are not sorted "just so", it all goes to the landfill anyway. If/when that becomes the case, we have failed. Changing your lightbulbs from incandescent to energy saving types seems trivial, but I did that a long time ago and it has saved me a lot of purchase power in lightbulbs alone. The energy savings is something that is hard to measure, but I want to believe the research that supports it.
    Thus ends my "sermon" for today.

Blog Entries

So people, a new year (bound to be somewhere), new possibilities. Or? Is it going down the drain? YES! YES, YES, YES! We're fucked. Maybe. That's my current position. I think.

Are we past the point of recovery? I cannot say, I haven't got the debthy kind of knowledge to say either way, but can we pretend I do? Then I'd say for sure. Past the point of recovering our own asses, maybe not. To transcribe that Smith fellow from that film; some viruses are hard to kill. Ask the dodo, some random glacier or another of the numerous species or small lakes, patches of fainforest or just about anything not human, however, and I'm sure they'd tell you to please stop sodomizing them. Post-mortem probing of dead dodos, hmm? Tsk tsk! But then again, according to the best idea anyone ever had, we are the fittest, and maybe the world really is our brothel, to screw over as we damn well please. But, but... then there is this thing about us, this little phenomenon noone fully has been able to explain so far, that supposedly puts us at the top of everything regardless of our relative fitness, and doesn't that, if nothing else, instill a certain responsability on our frail and neer sightless bodies? (that colour test really was a blow for me!)

The reason I think we're past the point of any kind of return I will dive down to individual level to examine. Lets do something fun, I'll talk about me! First, a little praise for Bjørn the human being. Granted, it's going to be the kind of praise you get for shooting your little sister to stop her smoking habit, but still. What have I been up to since the last time? Because I have been thinking about this, it comes more naturally as time progress, it's a sort of habit I guess. I've been making discoveries too, oh yes, I'm way too wizened for my meagre twentytwo years. Like for instance how good things for the environment is usually good things for me as well.

The first thing I sort of have been obsessing about is plastic, wrapping and whatdoyacallit, the things that surround the things we buy, for slim reason. This summer, when I was working more regularly for the grocery store I was often unpacking various foods. Like fruit. So there I am, opening a box of apples, that has found it's way to norway all the way from argentina. Fair enough. Then I open the box, and what do you know? Each goddamn apple is wrapped in some padding to keep from getting bruised. Individual apples with their own small houses! Madness. So positive number one for me is I've been actively purchasing local(er) grown vegetables, and shying away from products that are wrapped to hilarity in plastics or other things. This is good for me because, well, try an apple picked that morningagainst one picked ten days ago as a baby apple and that has gone through puberty on a hull in some ship. Fair enough, the garden apple from John Doe next door might not be as big, it might even have a small wormhole,but don't judge it before you taste it! Mmmm... And for the wrapping, I've cut myself various times on that awful pressed plastic people like to wrap around anything. What does a stainless steel pair of scissors need protection from anyway? Itself? The big bonus here is there will be a lot less garbage around your home! Your room will be cleaner, you wont have to take out the trash so often, wondrous wonder! Another food/grocery-related thing I've been doing is halving my eating of meat. This does not make any impact on any things at all, since my meateating habits are meagre to start with, but it's worth mentioning. The meat I use is for the most part the minced kind you grind some more and put in a casserole of some kind, or in some tacos or whatever. I've been halving it and replacing it with beans mostly. Meat is extremely cost-ineffective in terms of food. Plus, your heart will love you for it! Granted, you might live a few years longer and thus end up exacting a bigger toll on the world in any case, but hey, good for you!

Another thing I've been doing more actively is purchasing second-hand things, adn using a local taylor to refit my old clothes in stead of buying new ones. A few yards of thread is much more affordable for the world than a whole new denim creation. And for the fashionistas complaining; trust me on this, anything that has been refitted to you by knowing hands, say a towel, looks better than the one-size-fits all walmart slacks. I never even considered using a tailor before recently because I thought it would be really expensive, but it's not! Even here, where the cost of labour is regulated and expensive as hell in contrast to more exploit-governed areas. Run to your local handsman for a handjob. Opps You know what I mean.

My most enlightened moment of all was a zel-like morning about a month ago. My mind-senses were probably heightened from the hammering they had taken on the night before, and as I was looking in my fridge, on my fridge and even under my fridge for a bottle of soda, or anything that I might put into my water to make it more tasty, that it hit me; maybe the water has enough flavour as it is? Okay, that was a poorly made zen-moment. I like water the way it is and have always helped myself to lots of it, but I felt some narrative was needed. Quick, someone talented, write me up a believable story about the prowess of the taste of water. Some of it were true though. I didn't have any soda left. So I drank water. And have been since. Because what do you know? Everytime I fail to put something in the water I'm doing my teeth a very good service. Less acids leads to helathier teeth that leads to whiter teeth that saves you that whitening job you'd been planning to get which leads again to healthier teeth which could lead to massive savings in the whole oral budget. Replacing your coke with water will make you MORE RICH and LESS FAT! Other things good about water is that if you drink enough of it, every day covering your bodys need, you'll have less wrinkles, better urine and probably less smelly sweat. Combine this with some other watersports, and you'll cut that makeup-budget in two! For dig this, a lenghty warm and delicious shower will feel good, but nonetheless wreak havoc on your skin. The only reaon you need that moisturizer on your shelf is because you are working chernobyl miracles on your own body. Stop it. You'll be PRETTIER and look YOUNGER, probably even BARELY LEGAL in a matter of weeks. To sum up the water-section, I have been massively cutting back on the showering. Probably the change I've made that makes the most impact.

In general I've found that buying less can be very good for you. As I've pointed out before, not buying the coke will make you richer and less fat, and the same goes for the snickers bar, the crunchies bag and actually, most other things we throw our monies at. Fail to do this and you'll be rich, which ultimately is the final measure of man we have today

Yes, that was the good bit about my own little self so far, with a few subtle hints and tips threwn in. They should be sellable to, some of them are capitalized, many are porn related and that stuff sells! Here's the reason why I'm still a part of the problem, and not the solution.

It's not the fact that I still go binge-drinking and flying around the world displaying a most despiccable and waisteful apperance, that is bad, but not, in the end, the worst. Because I would actually be happy to reduce that sort of thing. I'm going to Thailand and the Phillipines soon, (hooray) and I was actually appalled as well as please at the low rate at which the tickets were available. I would acknowledge and accept a fair bit of regulation upon me to control energy-use, whatever, or something like that. But, and here's the thing. Only if everyone else is subject to the same. I preach a lot of shit about saving the world, but in the end, that attitude I see and moan about in others is very much present in me as well. I think we need someone at the front, someone with appeal, maybe a hot Gandhi (that hunchbacked bald style is so last season), that would do the martyr thing and show the rest of us the way. Maybe.

As a side note, I think, that if it's not too lenghty, this recession we're just about seeing the contours of (oh yes, my bruthas, we have a long way to fall before we can start climbing again. Or so I the pessimist think) might offer a chance for us. In the short run things might get worse as the price of oil goes down, money is pulled away from research and whatnot, but when it's time to start that climb I think we'll be forced to build a slightly different system. Something not quite so dependant on constant increase of everything at explosive rate (that sort of thing will put a strain on you), a system that is not based solely on the idea that incresed spending and purchasing power is the way to go. Did that sound commy? Unintended. Anyway, I think it might.

As an ender I was going to say, "come on people, lets put coca cola out of business", but that's not really that healthy. 50 million or so suddenly without a job? Not that good. So okay, "come on people, lets drink soda on the special occasions only, not only will it taste better and more special, it will also force a lot of energy away from a field that in itself is quite useless, but let us hope the decline in coke-output is even and slow so that the people working there have the time to find other things to do".Well, it's an example, at least.

*up, up, and away*

i haven't had soda in years. (i think its going on 10 years now, actually).
    after the first year (maybe less) i didn't want to drink it anymore. it began to taste mind numbingly sweet.
    May you have warm words on a cold evening,
    A full moon on a dark night,
    And the road downhill all the way to your door.

engaged to Waffles