Page 79 of 80 FirstFirst ... 296977787980 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1191

Thread: What are you reading?

King Sloth High House Chaos sir archely's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What are you reading?

eh, I have learned to like girly YA books. It comes with the job territory.
    I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

High Roller High House Moon Dregs's Avatar

I'll tell you what I'm not reading, and if you're smart you wont be reading it either.* "The Crown of Stars" overblown 7 book series by Kate Elliot. I've never seen a story stretched out so thinly before. It could have been knocked out in three, really. The main guts of the story was fine, but the non-sensical periphery was astounding. For example, almost a whole book was dedicated to a MacGuffin quest to get some Griffins so that an army of savages could be procured to fight in a war. Fucking about getting the griffins was about a book, securing the army was about a chapter, and wiping the army out in a battle took a paragraph. It wasn't even an Epic Final Battle: there were two more books after that. It felt like I was reading an essay by a Year 10 student who'd forgotten what the topic was about.

*I don't want to impugn anyone's intelligence. You can read it if you like. I won't judge.

Hidden text sill hidden?
    (I told you it was a mistake to let me have a signature.)

I should add, I'm reading books because they are in a box of books I received for nothing. So i'm reading them all, regardless of whether I want to or not. I read the Tide Lord 4 Book (quadrilogy? Tetrology?). All I can say is, apart from the furry sex, pretty solid. Right up until the weakest ending of a fantasy series I have ever read.

Mistress of Shadows High House Moon night faerie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

LOL Dregs, too funny, reading on principal. Sounds lilke something arch would do.

I'm currently reading Enders Game series. I've been following the Ender and Bean storylines simultaneously so I read Enders Game and Enders Shadow at the same time and since then have been trading off reading one from each branch of the series at a time. Really enjoying this series, it's so satisfying to have so many logical, practical characters.

"...just an idle doodle in the margins of our minds ..."
    ...nf

Blog Entries

Girl was so excited for school book fair day. She decided to spend her own money. She saw two books in the flyer that she wanted. One looked to me to be a little too mature for her, it was a princess chapter book but geared towards ages 8-12. I told her we'll look for it in the library and I'll read it first. The other one she brought home and when I saw it my heart sank. I was so wrapped up in protecting her from the romance aspect that I totally overlooked this one. So now I'm reading it to see if it's too old for her.

It's called How to Speak Dolphin. It's about an orphan 12 year old girl whose stepfather is in denial about her 4 year old brother who is severely autistic, leaving the sister as his primary caretaker. The boy befriends a rescued dolphin and the sister has to choose between finding a way to free the dolphin into the wild or keeping the dolphin captive so her brother has a friend. A little heavy, sure.

ok so I'm on page 119. It's quite a good book but they've mentioned suicide twice and now referenced feed tubing hunger strike prisoners at Guantanamo Bay. Tell me, why is this book being presented to kids aged 4-12?

...nf

Blog Entries

I read (well, listened to) Red Queen, which is a girly YA series, that is frustratingly only 1 book finished at the moment. But I found myself really enjoying it, based on a world where people are divided by class determined by the colour of their blood - "reds" are just normal people, while "silvers" are basically x-men who have silver blood. There's a whole romance sub-plot, which was remarkably more complex than I would have thought for a YA book, and even though I saw the "twist" coming from like, chapter 2, and sat there waiting and waiting and waiting for the characters to catch up to the obvious, apparently other readers didn't quite think it was sooooo obvious that it hurt.
    Still, nice light dystopian fun.

(I've gotten kinda into listening to audio books while I'm working.)

I just finished all the audio books of the Chronicles of Narnia, and the older I get, the more I really hate The Last Battle. Just, go to Hell C.S. Lewis. Your disgusting racism and hatred for those who have to live in the real world is despicable.

And good news if you have Scribd! Game of Thrones is now on audiobook on Scribd. which is waaaaaay cheaper than buying them all!
    Your sense of self is defined by what you think other people think of you.

I'm a militant Agnostic: I don't know and neither do you!

I got GOT on the nook...the set was on sale.
    (STILL) Reading Prince Lestat by the Anne Rice.
    rise

Out of the box of books, I can recommend:
    Tony Shillitoe: The Ashuak Chronicles (3 books) - baddies are bad, corrupt and have all the power. Viva le resistance!
    Tony Shillitoe: Dreaming in Amber (4) -follow on series from previous trilogy, but 200 odd years on. Few protagonists have been as badly treated.

Anne Bishop: The Alainn Trilogy (3) -S'ok. Aimed at the young teenage girl market, lots of (persecuted) witches and elves.

Jennifer Fallon: Tide Lords (4) Not bad, I imagine furries like it. You'll want to talk to someone about the ending, though.

Kate Elliot: Crown of Stars (7 overblown, go-nowhere wastes of my time) I plowed through these to show everyone how dedicated I am to reading random books. No one gave a shit. Don't do it.

Currently I'm trying to broach Stephen Lawhead's Song of Albion (3). It's hard going, it's a bit like the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant in that modern human goes to fantasy world. But with more Celtic archaeology. I can't say I'm enjoying it.

I am reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.

It is about a reporter who is sent back to her hometown that she hasn't gone to for 8 years, to report on the story of two little girls who months apart were abducted, murdered and their teeth pulled out. As I am reading this book.. I am sort of feeling like I have read it before but I really have no recollection of reading it. It is an ok book.
    Everything that is or was began with a dream- Lavagirl

Does this Font make my butt look big?

So I finished re-reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, and I will never, ever read it again. It took nearly three years to read all of them and I hated every single fucking page (with some exceptions). It has freed up space in the bookshelf for more WIldcards so that's something.

I'm now reading light comedy in the form of the 44 Scotland Street series. (It's notable because it was first printed as a serial in a Scottish newspaper)

King Sloth High House Chaos sir archely's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Funny. I started re-reading Malazan maybe 2-3 years ago and only made it through 2.5 books before losing interest. Almost everything I read these days is YA or lower since I have to keep up for work.

The last big boy series I read and really enjoyed was The Books of Babel series by Josiah Bancroft.
    I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries

I would love to read again but I haven't for years.
    I'm only flesh and blood
    But I can be anything that you demand

Blog Entries

I'm actually (finally) rereading Wheel of Time! I am on book 13 (for the 2nd time) and I'm going to finally read the final installment! I started this read in 2016 after taking the kids to see my mom in California. On the flight we hit some crazy turbulence and I thought... omg i can't die without reading the end of Wheel of Time! Yes it's taken me 4 years for 12.5 books, but with kids around, really, who has time?

Also my vision is so bad now (I needed reading glasses as of two years ago) I can't read most paper books anymore. Luckily I found (yes found... in the paper recycling bin in my complex) a Nook and can manipulate the size of the font so that's how I'm reading now. I miss books, sigh.

...nf

Blog Entries

I'm actually (finally) rereading Wheel of Time! I am on book 13 (for the 2nd time) and I'm going to finally read the final installment! I started this read in 2016 after taking the kids to see my mom in California. On the flight we hit some crazy turbulence and I thought... omg i can't die without reading the end of Wheel of Time! Yes it's taken me 4 years for 12.5 books, but with kids around, really, who has time?

Also my vision is so bad now (I needed reading glasses as of two years ago) I can't read most paper books anymore. Luckily I found (yes found... in the paper recycling bin in my complex) a Nook and can manipulate the size of the font so that's how I'm reading now. I miss books, sigh.

...nf

Blog Entries

I mostly listen to audiobooks now, as I'm very fortunate to have a job where I can do that all day and still get my work done. I started listening to the first Malazan book, and even though it cost me a whole audible credit, I just could not finish it. I could not get into it. Lately I've been listening to the Expanse books by James S.A. Corey, which are pretty great, if not quite as good as the TV series, and how often does that happen?!

Because I'm cheap that way, I try to maximize my audible credits by listening to the longest possible books, which has led me down some truly unfortunate "epic fantasy" paths. But I did spend nearly a year listening to WoT, which I've decided I have a deep love/hate relationship with. Some things about it are so great, and it reminds me of such a fun time in my life, but also, some things (the slog of books 7-12, the entire concept of Rand) fill me with a deep sense of loathing.
    Your sense of self is defined by what you think other people think of you.

I'm a militant Agnostic: I don't know and neither do you!